Bear hunting with hounds

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by SFCJoshua, Sep 8, 2018.

1. SFCJoshua

SFCJoshua Fawn

Sep 5, 2017
    Brandenburg Ky
    The Quota season runs from October 20th to November 2nd this year. I’m looking for a landowner that is willing to give written permission that lives in zone 1,2, or 3. I have heard a lot of people talking about problem bears this year. If you would like some harvested from your property please message me so we can work something out. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Wrong part of the state for me but there is plenty of public land and very little bear hunters , I’ve done killed my buck and have been looking into bear hunting, how much would you charge to get me a chance at one

3. SFCJoshua

SFCJoshua Fawn

Sep 5, 2017
    Brandenburg Ky
    I wouldn’t charge you anything. The problem is that you can only bear hunt with hounds in Kentucky on private land. I don’t know anyone in southern Kentucky, so I spend my license money in West Virginia.

4. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Gotcha I haven’t read all the regs, I’ve always liked hunting with dogs, coon hunted for many years, rabbit, duck, and have hog hunted with dogs, I love seeing them work, do you have much luck in West Virginia?

5. SFCJoshua

SFCJoshua Fawn

Sep 5, 2017
    Brandenburg Ky
    Same here, it’s not about the killing for me. I love watching my hounds work, and do what they were bred to do. Last winter was my first season living here and hunting their. I did harvest a nice black bear in December. I’m taking vacation the next 2 weeks and bear hunting in West Virginia. I just hope to get my young dogs on as many as possible.

6. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    From what I’ve seen most guided hunts with dogs with put a hole in your pocket, I wish you the best of luck and hope to see some pics on here soon

SFCJoshua likes this.
  7. SFCJoshua

SFCJoshua Fawn

Sep 5, 2017
    Brandenburg Ky
    I have tracking collars for my hounds, I can track them for 9 miles line of sight. I can’t control the bear, but I can call my dogs off track most of the time. It would have to be a large property to begin with, for that reason right there.

8. Sbp

Sbp Fawn

Sep 9, 2018
    S.E. Kentucky
    You sound like an ethical hunter. Good luck. I was wondering how something as big as a bear didn’t run a long ways.

9. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I know plenty that are having bear problems but they don't own big parcels of land. Just guessing there's prolly nobody around here that has enough land for a dog to run and tree without going into someone else's property. Good luck tho! Wish we could help u more.

10. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    We have over 1200 acres in Letcher County, we already have a gentleman from Leslie County with hounds that wants to run dogs on our property. I wish we could kill every bear in the county!!

I hate Bear.....