Bear

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Dec 4, 2018.

Reason for harvest?

1. Aid in eradicating a nuisance

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Provide food

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. For the sport

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I would love to hunt one, but my health would keep me from much effort getting to one, let alone getting one out.

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Find you someone to hickory smoke and sugar cure the meat, It has the taste and consistency of Corned Beef. About the only wild game my wife will eat anymore.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I guess I've just had bad experiences. I've eaten 3-4 times and not good at all.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  4. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    If I was still hunting bear I would plant several small patches of corn on my property. Food plots are still legal as far as I know.

5. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

Nope, illegal for bear.

Page 9 of hunting guide:
    "It is illegal to feed bears directly or (and here's the key word) INDIRECTLY for any reason."

That goes for beehives, gardens, garbage, deer carcasses, if bear eats any of these, your acting in an illegal manner and subject to fine from KDFW.

I know you guys are probably getting tired of my anti bear posts, but unless you live in these bear counties and/or have had KDFW talk to you like you damn dog, you really haven't got a clue how serious the bear situation is.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    the bear meat I have seen has been full of parasites (worms). my outfitter said there was no way he would eat a bear. he said if he was starving, maybe in the fall, but definitely not in the spring when they come out of hibernation.

7. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Believe me I know. Bear also eat clover plots, oats, etc. I've even had bear pics in brassicas. Changes need to be made and specific questions answered. But, I would like to be able to go back and throw people in jail for planting autumn olives. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    elkaholic likes this.
  8. gettin bit

gettin bit Fawn

Jul 14, 2017
    Woodford Co.
    Bears were in Kentucky long before any of us. Yes your daily habits of storing trash and animal feeds has to change but I would much rather be neighbors with a black bear than a human.

9. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Your Location says Woodford County?

How many bear sightings have you had on your property in the past year?

How many times has Bear been in your garbage?

Have you had your stainless steel gas grill destroyed?

Have you had any 75 year old neighbors have their bee hives wrecked?

How many apple trees have you had broken down due to bear?

How many acres of deer hunting land have you essentially lost due to bear moving in?

Bear have basically "take over" many areas of Letcher County, should Letcher County residents be forced to move away and give up their property to the bear because, as you say, the bear was here first?

As the old saying goes, until you walk a mile in my shoes, you honestly have NO DAMN CLUE what your saying.....

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

So were indians. Are you willing to let them come back and live on your property.

Junglekat, elkaholic, barney and 2 others like this.
  11. ky_coal_miner

ky_coal_miner Spike

May 15, 2015
    Clay County Ky
    They have taken over here in parts of my county as well i think the answer is allow more havest. The current quota is to conservative. That being said i love the return of the bear here in the mountains but have had some issues with them as well. I harvested my first one this past archery season and i must say it is a thrill to take a bear in ky and im already looking forward to next year!

JR PORTER and elkaholic like this.
  12. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Congrats! Did you take the bear in Clay Co?

I've given up hunting them until the season/quota is extended and the baiting issues are straightened out. Too much time & effort invested for the disappointment.

13. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Bear season comes in soon.

14. ky_coal_miner

ky_coal_miner Spike

May 15, 2015
    Clay County Ky
    Yes he was taken in clay

elkaholic likes this.
  15. gettin bit

gettin bit Fawn

Jul 14, 2017
    Woodford Co.
    BigPete I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. There are an estimated 20,000 bear in the state. I believe I have read where there are less than 2,000 (maybe 1,000) bear in the state of Kentucky. You gentlemen have ever right to be upset about the damage to your property. But it is just that, your property. Take LEGAL actions to protect your property. Make known your concerns in Frankfurt where it matters. People live with bear all over the country. I believe you gentleman can do it to.