Bear

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Dec 4, 2018.

Reason for harvest?

1. Aid in eradicating a nuisance

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Provide food

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. For the sport

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    Breathitt Co.
    I would take this to court and win a nice little sum of money with no lawyer fees.

2. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    Breathitt Co.
    SS. Don't even need a shovel.

Arrow Slinger likes this.
  3. clearwateralaska

clearwateralaska Fawn

Oct 29, 2018
    Delta Junction
    I love Bear hunting but I don't like Bear meat.

4. Bear would be like eating a coon or a vulture. They feed on anything/everything. Sounds like the current KY regs make it illegal to shoot a bear that has eaten? They are occasionally sighted where I live but are not a nuisance yet. I have not seen one since about 2005. I don't think I would want to eat one.

5. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I live in northern Pendleton county and my farm is getting taken over by the autumn olive. I live nowhere close to any mining, but really close to a place where turkeys were released. I think fish and wildlife planted the crap when they released the turkeys.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  6. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Don't know for sure, but a Crispy Cream donut fed one tasted pretty good.

elkaholic and Dark Cloud like this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i would not waste a good Krispy Kreme on a bear.

8. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    My youngest son's FIL goes somewhere in Canada in the spring to bowhunt black bear, he kills one about every year. Couple years ago he had a cookout and had grilled some bear meat, tasted pretty good. Its legal up there to bait the bears in and that's where the donuts come in they use about anything for bait but I guess the outfitter he hunts with get stale baked goods from the donut shop in town. The first year he hunted he killed a brute, had a full mount done, couple years later he brings home a small one with a white mark on it's throat, Matt, my son, kids him says it was marked by all the Crispy Cream cream filled donuts it had eaten.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Dark Cloud, elkaholic and 1wildcatfan like this.
  9. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I had a bear steak one time cooked over an open fire on a deer hunting trip. I thought it was really good. Wild boar on the other hand aint worth a crap, at least a big boar pig isn't.

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Sounds to me like an overzealous employee. Frankly, no one should put up with being talked to that way.

If I'm not directly or "indirectly" feeding bears on a specific property, and I'm otherwise legal, and I want to hunt them, I'm going to hunt them. KYDFW can arrest and fine me if they want. That will easily be beat in court.

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Bear meat done right has the color, taste and consistency of Corned Beef. One of the only wild game animals my wife will eat. I had a place that would hickory smoke and sugar cure as one would do a ham and it didn't last long around our house.

12. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I remember an in Maryland an old state senator Roscoe Bartlett put forth at bill to transfer bears into the city area of Baltimore and 2 counties outside DC. His reasoning was all the city folk were pressuring Fish and Wildlife to not allow the bear hunt in W. MD cause they were cute animals and had every right to the land as anything. Roscoe told em they didn't experience the damage and destruction bears do. They tabled or threw the proposal out but they got their season. Not enough quota but they do hunt em now. But they are a pain I do know that, my cousins farm in that area has problems with them all the time and the F&W just act like it's no big deal. Lost 4 calves one spring.
    Bears suck!

DH13 and barney like this.
  13. Pops1960

Pops1960 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2011
    I was at the Deer & Turkey Expo in Louisville today. I spoke to a game warden that works Eastern Kentucky and asked him about hunters being fined for the contents of a bear's stomach. He laughed and called BS on that story. His said some folks may have been fined for shooting a bear with corn in its stomach, but it was because the bear was shot while feeding in a corn pile. That makes more sense.

14. hondo1892

hondo1892 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2014
    North of Lake Cumberland
    Bears eat mast and most property in Kentucky have some kind of mast tree on them. So that means no one would be able to legally take a bear. I've never read the regs because we don't have enough bears here in Casey to try to kill one. But do you have to leave the innards in the bear when you kill one. One reason bear meat is bad is it doesn't get field dressed and cooled fast enough. I don't see why baiting is illegal either since you can hunt with hounds. But many of the game laws make little since to me.

15. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    It might cost your savings to win, but I'd say this couldn't stand up to a challenge in higher courts.

barney likes this.