Beginner Help

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by M0833937, Apr 15, 2018.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Probably a good call on the jake on public land Drahts. I only hunt woods like this hunter but it’s private land. Overcalling once you have them moving is good advice too. I got picked off many times before I connected because they were looking right at me from behind a log, high grass, etc...

carnivore likes this.
  2. M0833937

M0833937 Fawn

Apr 15, 2018
    Eastern Kentucky
    Thanks again for the advice. I’ll be heading out in the morning in the woods behind the house (private land). There are 3 ridges and 2 creek beds that all lead into a L shaped field about the size of 3 football fields with a small pond on it. My plan is to set up the decoys on the edge of the field before light. And set back up on the ridge just a little ways. There are turkey tracks all over the dirt road that runs through the field. I’m not sure where they are roosting, but it has to be close. I got out there too late this morning (7 ish) and they were gobbling from 2 different directions. I think I just need to hunker down and be patient like most of you have said.

3. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Get on the edge of the field out of sight and wait till the birds start singing and hoot when one gobbles go set up on him or just wait for them to gobble

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Nelson County
    If on private ground, use a strutter decoy. It pisses the Tom off almost every time. I hunted without decoys for 20 years, but I swear on a strutter these days

5. hoene

hoene Spike

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    I believe the hardest turkey to kill is your first one. Don't give up it is the best hunting of all hunting IMHO.

6. M0833937

M0833937 Fawn

Apr 15, 2018
    Eastern Kentucky
    Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll post an update when I’m out of the woods tomorrow

7. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    Took me 4 years of hunting my rear off to get one. That first one was 10.5 pound jake with a 2 inch beard i think in 96 or 97. After that has gotten a lot easier figuring out what to do and a whole lot more birds now. In woods with alot of ridges set up just over the lip so they have to come to top to see hen then they are in range. I like hunting in big woods more than fields. I hate that standing in middle of field and strutting ordeal. I hardly use a decoy in woods. Untill you get a few under your belt call little as possiable. Use a crow for a locater call. When wondering through the woods calling a turkey call, one may be on top of you before you can set up. It easier to call one up hill because if danger easier for him to get away. Most of the time the easier it is for him to get to you the better your chances. When he is in mood and right it will happen no matter what. I have called them across roads across hollers and one across a river yesterday. Good luck to you

8. M0833937

M0833937 Fawn

Apr 15, 2018
    Eastern Kentucky
    Well I finally got one. After sitting over decoys for 2 and half hours and hearing the gobbles getting farther and farther away, I started walking the ridge tops. I finally got on one on top of a hill. I called a little and he would gobble back. This when on for what seemed like forever. After the gobbles stopped, I started walking in the direction I heard him from down the hill.I saw him walking in front of me about 50 yards away walking in the opposite direction. I gained a little ground on him and shot him about 30 yards out. He never saw me coming. I never weighed him but he had a 11 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. A lot of fun. Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer me suggestion. I called a lot less than I normally do.

9. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    One year during deer season I was heading towards the house and got behind a flock and followed them for about a quarter mile about 40 yds behind them. They never knew I was there.

10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I’ve killed the majority of my birds between 9am - 2pm. I always hear guys say they didn’t do any good this morning like the hunt is over. My hunts really pick up around 8:30 after the hens have went to nest.

Typically, the birds fly off the roost together or fairly close. They meet up and the gobbler night strut behind them to display and maybe breed one here and there. Then the hens will gradually slip off to nest.

That’s when the gobbler finds himself alone. So he kind of panics and you might get a gobble or two from him. This is your best time to get in close and call him in. Gobblers have a comfort zone so to speak. If you get in close and are inside his zone then he’s far more likely to commit to your calling.

If nothing of that works then I generally set up in a good travel route or strut zone and call sparingly every 15-20 minutes. Be ready because if one shows up he’ll likely come in silent.

11. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Congrats on your bird. When they stop gobbling they are usually on their final approach. Always sit still and quiet for 45 mins to an hour after your last call before moving. He prolly saw you move and wasn't sure what you were but knew you weren't a hen which is why he was going the other way. Rather be lucky than good but keep that tip of sitting still quiet in mind. It doesn't always happen in 15-30 minutes. I've worked birds 3-4 hours before they finally came in and killed em. Good Luck in pursuit of your second bird! It'll get a bit easier now that the monkey is off your back! :) Don't overthink em to much they have a brain the size of a pea! ;)

12. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Good ole Bushwack, congrats

13. hoene

hoene Spike

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Congratulations on your first bird. Remember you only have one first bird.

14. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    All good advice. But remember, go out, have fun, make a bunch of mistakes, and learn from them. Failing is life's best teacher.

BNewNKY46 likes this.
  15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    ^^^^^^^^^^ This