Binos

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by WILD, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Another vote for the Redfield Rebels. Redfield is the "cheap" Leupold line.
    I have had them for almost 6 years now and they have never failed me. Twice to Scotland, with rain like you have never seen, and no fogging or leaking. Was able to compare them in Scotland side by side with some real expensive glass (Zeiss, Swaroski, etc...) - definitely not that class, but not that far from it for regular glassine while stalking.

Bought them with a rebate that put them at $75. For that price, I can lose and replace every 5 years till I die and I will still have less invested than big money glass.

2. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
  3. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Wallyworld has them at the same price. Two day shipping, free pickup. Don't know how much shipping would be from Optics Planet. Might save a little by picking them up at Walmart. I forgot to say that I have used mine quite a bit on a trapline to check for a catch without getting near the trap. That's nice on rainy and snowy days especially. Lets me get out of the weather quicker on those days and avoid leaving extra scent on other days. Zero fogging or leaking problems and they let me spot my possums from quite a distance, even in a snow storm.

4. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    I recently bought a pair of Vortex Raptors 10x32 binoculars.
    They are really clear and well built.They are 99 bucks at several
    vendors.Also very good in low light for their size. I could see deer
    at my feeder at 100 yds way before good daylight.Check them out,worth the money.

WILD likes this.
  5. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    Yea I looked through them,I am going to stop by there this weekend and there is a good possibility I will be walking out with em also,some great looking binds for sure...wish the were the 10x42 though...I'm gunna have to check em out again when I'm out that way also...thanks man,almost forgot about then,good looking out buddy.

6. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    And can't beat the price eighter.thats one thing that might make me pass on the 10x42 and go with those..lol
    Don't guess there's that much in the 42 and 32,just wanted a little better light capture,those do good in low light?

7. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    i assume you are talking about the redfield and same series(rebel)right?

8. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Yes. I did a search for them on the Walmart site.

WILD likes this.
  9. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    I did manage to look through cornpile binoculars and will probaly go with them,they were very nice and he said he look through the ones I was interested in and the vortex were better...so think I'm going to look through them again and go from there...thanks again for all the help,and feel free to still give your thoughts.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Wild.... concerning size / power.... a lot depends on how you plan to use them. Being most 10x42’s are going to be a little on the heavy side if you plan on using them a lot in the stand or doing a lot of walking in general.

Which the 10x42’s are great if you occasionally hunt blinds or shooting houses on a field or food-plot. Also make a good set to carry in the truck and glassing fields. That extra magnification is nice as my eyes just aren’t what they use to be and the bigger objectives do good in low light and generally a bigger field of view to make picking things up easier. But their simply a little heavy and a bit more bulky.

If you plan to basically carry them a lot....like every time hunting or doing a lot of hiking ..etc... a better choice would be the 8x32’s.

WILD likes this.
  11. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    Plain on doing both actually...long fields and so forth..I'm sure I will find something I'm happie with,thanks

12. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Just FYI, Cabela's put the 10X42 Redfield Rebels on sale last night I guess. The are in the bargain bin. They are $109.99 with free shipping. Academy Sports is advertising Redfield Revolt 10X42 for $79.99 I think but I can't find any info on a Redfield Revolt. The pic in their on-line add looks just like the Rebel model. Good luck with whatever you choose.

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

If you're looking for inexpensive good performing glass then try Carson. I think they started out mainly for bird watchers but I bought this pair for bow hunting and have no complaints. They are very clear and you just can't beat the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Carson®-Tree...86072&sr=8-9&keywords=carson+binoculars+10x42

14. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    Think it was the rebel series I was looking at.

15. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    All i seen that sorry..thanks