Black Cloud for sale or trade

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wprebeck, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    You ever shot #2s in the blind sides? Most of the shot opportunities I get are 30-50yds as im stuck to public lakes and figured the bigger shot might reach out a bit better. I typically shoot 2s and BBs in heavy metal or remmington sportsman and 1 out of 3 birds is a boat retrieve.

2. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Im lucky enough to get to duck hunt good bit in a few states in Miss flyway and shoot a good number of shells. The Black Cloud 3 in # 3 shot is all I use anywhere fwiw. From specs to teal. Through an improved cylinder non ported tube in an old wingmaster 870. There is a vast improvement in dead vs. cripples in the Blind Side/Black Cloud over the "walmart loads" IMO .

False economy to use the really cheap steel loads because you have to shoot so many of them to finally kill cripples -versus- one shot one clean kill typically with the two referenced loads. Every gun is different and shooting paper with a few of the various shot sizes and brands through any gun will tell you the truth abut your gun, patterns , and the right shell configurations. IMO anyway.

Brsutton86 likes this.
  3. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I agree Bee. I did try blind side 2s and the pattern wasn't great but not terrible either. I had like 162 pellets in a 30" circle at 35 yards with 5s and a light mod choke. I patterned about 30 shells 3 years ago. Got a shell from everyone I knew that duck hunted. Winchester xpert #3's were a great round also but still not comparable to blindside 5s. Fed blue box had a center chunk with no pellets which is what I use to shoot in my Mossberg and then kept shooting them with my Beretta. I had a ton of cripples. Like Bee said one shot very few cripples is worth patterning your gun. Maybe I'm crazy buts seems the square pellets of blindside rip through them doing more damage, folding more also. Plus every year right before season Rogers has them on sale for 179 then 50 rebate so only 130 a flat free shipping. 13 box for a good round is cheap imo.

Bee likes this.
  4. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Lot more pellets not in that count just outside the circle also. If you do your job a bird doesn't stand a chance with that pattern. I do only shoot decoying birds though. Jump/sneak shooting isn't for me and I don't pass shoot unless it's a low close swing, and I don't think they are gonna finish. That's just my personal preference though. Never thought 5s would hammer Canada's but it does IF you get head/neck shots and they are decoying. For the skybusters among us you may want a full choke.:D
    PicsArt_08-31-12.49.05.jpg

Bee likes this.
  5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    A taxidermist on here told a bunch of us what he shot. I wont mention his name. We all thought he was crazy. Plus he shoots an open choke to. After a couple of years of him telling us this again we went to a Canada trip. I picked up a couple of boxes to try. After trying them the first day. DROPPING DUCKS AND GEESE sometimes 2 at a time with NO CRIPPLES I was SOLD. They were to high to buy in Canada. So waited till I got home an ordered a case. Shot 8 boxes up in Canada. This year ordered another case. IM SOLD A FIRM BELIEVER and the 4 guys I hunt with are to now. BLIND SIDE 5s or 6s will do the trick. NOTHING ELSE for me. Got a few of older boxes of Federals an Dry lock left shoot them around here till they are gone. Then it is Blind side from here on. Don't like Black Cloud. DIRTYS up shotgun BAD.

6. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Think I’ll give those blind sides a try next season

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Rod you wont be disappointed. BELIEVE ME. At first I thought 5s??? I had shot just about every shot shell steal loads that is made. I am SOLD on the blindside 5s

8. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    57DF24EC-BB7E-4021-AD09-C38C03A73D43.jpeg

Works every time most the time.

KDT

DH13 likes this.
  9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    What I used to use back in the lead days on Geese. 6s on Ducks.

10. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    EB342AB1-78A8-4DC4-892B-E72AF94A3EF4.jpeg

KDT

DH13 likes this.
  11. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    @wprebeck did you ever pattern that shell I gave you?