Black Squirrel

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by BowHunter20, Oct 4, 2017.

1. BowHunter20

BowHunter20 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2014
    Ohio
    Saw this squirrel in our neighborhood, I've never seen a black squirrel before, has anyone ever seen one before? And, No, it's not a skunk. LOL, before you guys start in!

Black squirrel 1.JPG

Black squirrel 2.JPG

2. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I killed a fox squirrel here in Pulaski county years ago that was solid black all but a white spot on its face and chest. Has more of a salt n pepper type tail than that one though. Way cool to see! I saw an almost albino one here at work yesterday and took pics.

3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

There are several black squirrels in eastern Kentucky. Corbin is full of them.

I seem to remember someone bringing them in around the mid 80s.

4. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I saw one few years ago.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Freedom & justice for all black squirrels.

Black Squirrels Matter!!!

tasaman, EC, xbokilla and 2 others like this.
  6. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Black squirrels are common in some areas. Up near the quad cities (Rock Island, Moline IL and Davenport, Bettendorf IA) the parks are filled with black gray squirels. Down here in Eastern North Carolina the fox squirrels run the gamut of black color phases from silver with black saddle all the way to jet black except for white nose.

I have been trophy hunting for one of those jet blacks but the seem to only appear when I have a deer rifle in hand.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    As stated above I think they are more common in the north. Saw one or two where I grew up and were told they were color phase fox squirrels. They were large like fox squirrels. Who knows? We used to hunt a farms that had huge fox squirrels with almost solid black faces. We only deer hunted there but always wish I had shot one and mounted it.

8. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    We had to go to robotics school in Michigan a few years ago and went to class the first morning and there was a black squirrel going across the parking lot. We threw the van door open and gave chase with cameras going. People looked at us like we were nuts. Turns out that in that part of Michigan, 90% of the squirrels are black. They were everywhere.

9. gds

gds 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2005
    NORTHERN KY.
    Ft Mitchel , Ky ,up near Cincinnati has a lot of them . Jet black , Really neat looking, from the size of them I would say they are a black phase of the gray squirrel.

10. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np 6 pointer

Nov 24, 2016
    South Central Kentucky
    Only saw one black squirrel, was a few years ago in eastern Pulaski co in the shopville area. I have seen a few fox squirrels with a black face and white nose while deer hunting. Interesting looking.

11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    This.
    They are gray squirrels. Where I grew up in Indiana their are all over. Even remember seeing a litter of them once where half the youngins were gray and half were black.

12. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I have seen more black fox squirrels than white ones.As mentioned before a fox you can tell its a mutation.
    I have worked up north and over in New England they have a species I think that is black.

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

We had two that would visit the bird feeder in the back yard. We named them Jesse and Al.

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

Dead on the squirrels we used to see at the farm I mentioned hunting above. This farm was between Danville and Harrodsburg. They did have a little white around the nose now that you mention it.

Outdoor_np likes this.
  15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    My dad, growing up and hunting in Hardin/Hart county in the 30's-40's, used to tell me about seeing black squirrels (as well as flying squirrels) all the time. Personally, I've never seen one of either in the 'wild'.