Blonde Coyote

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Iceman35, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I've seen a lot of coyotes over the years, with a lot of different color phases. Never seen a blonde one until this week, and then in the strangest of places.

Somebody hit and killed a doe on the main drag of our subdivision. Our subdivision has quite a bit of deer and other wildlife due to the wooded lots and draws, a ton of water, and a golf course buffet. I actually almost hit one last year in the same spot, as it's a pretty well used crossing.

Anyway, I'm running to the bank Friday, and as I approach the spot, I see a car pulled off and a lady trying to call a dog to her that's off its leash. Then, the "dog" moves, and I realize it's a coyote, but blonde, and been eating the deer carcass. Took me a second to process it as I've never seen one close to this light.

When I pulled away, I thought maybe I should tell this lady that what she's trying to call in isn't someone's lost pooch, but then reconsidered and literary let nature take its course. They were both gone when I got back, but the carcass was still there this morning, so maybe I'll see the coyote again.

I didn't think to take a picture, but o googled it, and this is exactly what the one I saw looked like.

Attached Files:

neveronline, elkaholic and Gooch like this.
  2. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    You see a lot of this color phase out West, I have killed a couple like that but not for several years. Seems the last few years they have been ordinary old Brown Coyotes.

I killed a half grown one in Colorado a few years ago that was almost white.

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Would have been fun to hear you say you saw her walking it a few days later. The local vet would have had a good laugh.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    bondhu likes this.
  4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    We called up & killed this yote at the farm in January of 2016.

Which ultimately at the shot the yote started flopping around and was bleeding profusely. So a lot of it’s coat is tinged with blood ... but it was as blonde a yote as I’ve seen.

We were hunting a power line and when we first saw it at a 100 yds or better. I thought it was a fox. Then as I watched his gait coming on in... I’m like .. no it’s a yote .

Which I’ll honestly say we almost screwed up watching it too long. It finally winded us and was hauling butt ...we just got lucky a 22-250 found him before he was gone.

24F50FB0-52F7-48E5-BF86-A9075439B2D7.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    That is cool! If any of yall manage to get a blonde one, hit me up, I'd be interested in the pelt.

6. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    We can probably make that happen.

7. jim rifanburg

jim rifanburg 6 pointer

Jul 27, 2016
    IMG_0912.JPG Here's a 54lb blonde we killed 2 yrs ago

8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Golden Retriever genetics?

9. outdoorlife1984

outdoorlife1984 Fawn

Nov 22, 2017
    North Carolina
    Coyote are a nuisance and need to be thined out. They sure a pretty animal though.

10. forager

forager 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    I can't believe that some people think that something like that is safe to have around. Too much Disney in people's lives.

Good on you for getting him out of the area.

Gooch likes this.
  11. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
  12. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    I have been luck enough to see a blond one that was the color of the underbelly of the one shown. It was running with a little one one that was about half black. I also was lucky to see one that was completely black.