Blood Tracking Dogs (?)

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Porcupine, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Porcupine

Porcupine Fawn

Sep 17, 2008
    Shelby County
    I watched an episode of Kentucky Afield awhile back that discussed blood tracking dogs. The episode talked about how this was new to Ky, legalized in the last couple of years. Does anyone know anything about this? Know any people that have dogs in the Frankfort area? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

charlette curtis likes this.
  2. DearDoctor

DearDoctor 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    Newburgh, IN
    I have a friend who runs an outfitter in Illinois and he says they work majority of the time.

3. bigeza2000

bigeza2000 8 pointer

Oct 11, 2007
    Harrodsburg, KY
    The guy I hunt on has a beagle that tracks downed deer. I thought he was full of it until the dog showed up when we were following a blood trail. He told me the dog will find it. I thought, yeah right!! He put the dog on the blood and then the dog took off. He said sit down and let's smoke a cig. the dog will let us know in a few. I still thought he was crazy. About 10 minutes later the dog started yelping. Old dude says to me, "If she stays in one area yelping, then she found the deer". Well wouldn't you know, the dog never moved. We jumped up and started heading for where we heard the dog. Much to my surprise, the dog was sitting right beside the deer waiting on us to get there. It was awesome!!! I will never go looking for a deer again as long as that dog is there!! GREAT WORK BABY GIRL!!!

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Fawn

Sep 17, 2008
    Shelby County
    My brother-in-law shot a good buck yesterday and we spent from 9:30am till dark looking for him. He was very confident that he put a good shot on him but the arrow didn't pass through. He was sure it was in the vitals. We found the arrow and very little blood, and then nothing. We thought about a tracking dog as a last hope, but we haven't been able to find anyone that has one. We even called the Kentucky Afield radio show last night and asked Tim Farmer if he knew anyone. Just haven't had any luck. I am not even sure if a dog can follow a day old trail or not. May just have to look for buzzards. Thats why I thought I would ask to see if anyone knew anything ... or had a dog and was willing to travel... its hard to give up on one when you know he is out there dead.

5. DueNorth

DueNorth Fawn

Dec 17, 2007
    We have been using dogs to track deer here in Michigan for sometime now. My dog picked up on it very quickly. Most dogs are naturals. Before giving up try the family pet, you might be surprised.

6. kissey_branch_hunter

kissey_branch_hunter 6 pointer

Sep 18, 2008
    Shot a doe opening day muzzle loader, but I didn't get a good shot unfortunately. I called my wife on the radio to come out a help me track and the stray yellow lab mix that showed up at the house a year ago or so joined her. To my amazement, the dog found the first pile of blood (after us looking for 45 min prior), then he took off under the fence and sure enough we found her! I was completely amazed, and really don't know if I would have found her without the dog! I hope to try the dog out again during modern gun, she maybe a natural!

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Fawn

Sep 17, 2008
    Shelby County
    Thanks guys. Thats a good idea about the family pet. Looks like he will have to start earning his keep.

8. wildlands

wildlands Banned

Aug 27, 2005
    Georgia
    These are the only 2 people with tracking dogs listed in United Blood Trackers in the state.
    http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/find-results.php?st=ky
    But also check the neighboring states of Oh, In, and IL also have people listed so check to see if any of them are close.

Porcupine one of the specialty breeds for blood tracking can track a blood trail out past 40 hrs. The oldest I have worked succesfully was 35 hrs and tracked almost a mile before having to stop becasue of property line issues. I did try one the other night that was 58 hrs old and she did so so on it. She woul dgo for spells where she was on it then loose it. I was just pleased to see her picking anything up at that point.

Ken

9. raven_over_easy

raven_over_easy 12 pointer

Aug 19, 2006
    One word of caution, the tracking dogs must be on a leash. Can be a long lead but still on a leash while tracking to be legal in KY.

10. charlette curtis

charlette curtis 6 pointer

Sep 7, 2011
    Hebron kentucky
    Raven_over_easy can you call me regarding tracking dogs for Kentucky please 585-322-3391 Charlette is my name check out united blood trackers site first for this state

11. charlette curtis

Sep 7, 2011
    Hebron kentucky
    Raven can you call me 585-322-3391. Tracking dogs for Kentucky or check united blood trackers site for me I have some questions

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    10 year old post

13. charlette curtis

Sep 7, 2011
    Hebron kentucky
    Yes understood maybe I should start a new one?

14. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    There are a couple of members that have tracking dogs. Do a search for “tracking dog” and you should be able to find them.

I believe allseasonhunter has a bloodhound. A few others, but their handle escapes me now. Allseasonhunter posts the most about tracking it seems like.

I’d start a new thread.

15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Nah keep hollerin’. He’ll eventually hear you I rectal.