Blue tongue (EHD) It's back !

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Jhogan2007, Jul 19, 2017.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I would guess those numbers are 2-3 times more than what you see reported. Big territory that isn't always covered in the mountains. Strip job I hunt back home I reckon smells in every holler.

2. Bohannon

Bohannon Fawn

Aug 29, 2017
    Floyd
    There's smell of decaying deer carcass every few miles here in Floyd. Another on our holler, fawns walking around without their mothers, fields and bottoms that are usually full of deer this time of year are empty. It's a bad situation, worse than that of 2011. Fish and wildlife will say it's not as big of deal as it is but that's because they want you to be positive and go out and buy tags and license. There's still another month until we usually get a frost. Now I'm no deer biologist, but the practical thing to do would be to cut back doe harvest this year, maybe even next year. No way should they be selling extra tags to anyone in zone 4s. No does will be taken on my place and I question the common sense of any real conservationist who does

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    With this map that is being shown, has anyone seen any report from VA or WVA?

4. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Just viewed the latest info. on E.H.D. in Kentucky Counties and noticed my county (Taylor) has seven so far. I STRONGLY believe this could have been partly avoided if we were placed in Zone #2 last year's 2016 Deer Season, instead of Zone #3.
    https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Documents/EHDMap.pdf

5. jim rifanburg

jim rifanburg Spike

Jul 27, 2016
    Most people use some kind of mineral/attractant anyway so what could it hurt to try some instead of your normal mineral can't hurt and might help - I'll be ordering some today

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I find it strange that so many are being reported in Southeastern Kentucky but Harlan county shows 1 deer.

7. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I find it strange too. In my area of Taylor I've found no E.H.D. related deaths, and I've been all over my property, hunting Squirrels. I've seen LOTS of Deer average seeing 4-6 per day. Right now I am seeing a Doe & Fawn out in my back field browsing on birdsfoot trefoil. Still believe they should have placed Taylor County in Zone #2 last year. Right across the main road near my property is LaRue County (Zone #1). I only take one Deer per year, but would take two if it would help cut down the growing Deer population. Last year I counted 25 roadkill Deer on HWY-210 driving to Campbellsville.

8. aaronc

aaronc Spike

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Laying down in somebody's driveway.....insane.

9. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    Is there any way to find out the location of these cases within your county?

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    You might drive around close to creeks with the window down an see if you smell anything.

11. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I would think the majority of the E.H.D. cases are in the Southern half of Taylor near Green River Lake. Up where I live it's not hunted very heavy due to cattle farms. But we have lots of Deer.

12. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Why? I'm still waiting for someone to explain how any of the information available leads anyone to believe that this has anything to do with the deer population in a given area. The counties in the state with absolute reams upon reams of deer are having little or no problem with EHD while the counties with weak deer populations are getting hammered. So how would a bigger deer harvest in a county last season have had any impact whatsoever in that countie's susceptibility to this years outbreak? Sure if last years harvest was 10% bigger in your county then this year EHD would have killed only 6 deer instead of 7. Math is still math.

Ginsenghunter likes this.
  13. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Yeah I don't understand how anybody would suggest what zone they are in, has any bearing on EHD

14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Well fish and wildlife wanted to reduce the deers heard in this area because of the elk. Plus the dead deers help feed the Bears.

Bohannon likes this.
  15. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    From looking at the map, it makes me wonder if deer in counties with a longer history of high deer densities are starting to develop some resistance to EHD.