Boone related Kentucky quote

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Just read this and thought I'd share:

“after a long and fatiguing march, over a mountainous and pathless wilderness, arrived on the Red River. Here, from the top of an eminence, Boone and his companions first beheld a distant view of the beautiful lands of Kentucky. The plains and forests abounded with wild beasts of every kind; deer and elk were common; the buffalo were seen in herds and the plains covered with the richest verdure . . . this newly discovered Paradise of the West.” ---Henry Howe, describing Daniel Boone arriving in Kentucky

Nock, hotdog, Capttrae and 3 others like this.
  2. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I would have loved to seen this land when D Boone first came into Ky!

TripleGee and Dark Cloud like this.
  3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Robert Morgan has a book on Daniel Boone that’s supposed to be a good one. Rinella recommended it on a podcast.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I would love to spend a couple hours with Daniel Boone and see what it was like, assuming I wouldn’t die in the first 20 minutes.

5. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I wonder if you had to know somebody back then to get an elk tag?

FOWLER2671, BowOnly, Nock and 7 others like this.
  6. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    For the old growth forests, I can recommend this link:

http://www.kentuckyoldgrowth.org/places.html

I've been in some of those places, particularly the ones around McCreary County. These are the most beautiful forests I've ever seen. They're pretty, but they are rugged. The thing folks don't consider about old-growth is you've got 200 yr old trees toppling and creating major craters and little hillocks where the stump rotted. Those feature may no smooth out for a 1000 years, so the forest floor of a virgin forest is pockmarked with little pools and little hills and it's an absolute bear to hike through. The good news is they usually have trails where you can go and see it without having to actually traverse this terrain. That's doubly good, because having humans tromp through completely wrecks it.

BTW: Boone and the others DID have to traverse that landscape and it was a complete pain in the ass. That's something they don't mention. Boone, et al, generally stayed on well-marked game and indian trails.

My wife's family came through the gap and stopped at the first sensible place on the other side and put down roots. They stayed there for generations before moving into McCreary County. The reason: it was too damn much trouble navigating those forests.

For the grasslands, take a trip over to Big Bone Lick State Park and hang out with the buffalo.

One other thing: these virgin forests are nearly devoid of vertebrate life. Light doesn't get down very far, and so you have acres and acres of dark lifeless tracts under a canopy of green. Where a tree has toppled, you'll have a clearing and that will support the occasional deer, but the deer and turkeys mostly stay at the margins of these forests.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  7. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    We would all die of diarrhea in a few days from the water alone!

Nock, barney and EdLongshanks like this.
  8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I live about 10 miles from where Boone saw his first buffalo. A salt lick here in Floyd co. He also hunted bear along the big sandy around here during his first trip through

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Buffalo, hey here's an idea! Why don't they try to reintroduce Buffalo to Kentucky! It worked for Elk.

10. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.

Actually, they have in a way. I'm between Falmouth and Brooksville. There are several farmers who are raising buff for slaughter in the area. They're doing it on the other side of the Ohio too, between New Richmond and Port Union.

If you wanted to, you could shoot one and then have it quartered and sent to the processor. They're big quarters.

I was looking into keeping them, and decided against it. They're not like cows. Buffalo will stomp you as soon as not. One fellow told me he had his bull get loose, and spent hours trying to round him up. Half the time, he was chasing the bull on his ATV, and the other half the bull was chasing him.

BTW: These aren't the forest buffs of Boone's day. These are plains buffalo. The arboreal buffalo was extirpated by Boone and his buddies.

JR PORTER likes this.
  11. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    They say its pretty good tasting meat, I've never tried it.

12. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I like it better than beef.

You can get it at Krogers around here (Greater Cincinnati). It's expensive, but good.

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ive dealt with rogue buffalo, no kidding and they are 10x the pain that an elk is..Ive seen them knock a trailer off its foundation rubbing on it. They walk through bard wire like its kudzu vine

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Is the buffalo meat that is processed for market grain/corn fed?