Bowfishing from road bridges.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by huntingwildman, Apr 28, 2018.

1. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I can’t tell if you have an issue with shooting from the bridge or bowfishermen. The bridge side of it I have to side with you on since you have pointed out the law. It’s illegal. Got it. can’t do it. Call the law on the people that are doing it. Hopefully they will be educated and stop. If not they can face the repercussions. How do you feel about the bowfishermen and our fragile image? Do the two mesh in your opinion?

2. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    I don't have any issue with bowfisherman, or any other type of legal outdoorsman at all...I don't even plan on calling in on them, just wanted to create awareness that this particular practice is illegal, and it could do us harm as a group when we can ill afford it due to dwindling outdoorsman numbers....That and I do want bowfisherman to tidy up the areas where they bowfishif in public view and dispose of any fish...We are all on the same side, we just need to protect these priveleges that we all enjoy by calling each other out when things aren't by the book....Bowfisherman as a group tend to be younger guys and younger guys will take more chances (even though these were older)...It's up to the older outdoorsmen to remind both young and old of things that might harm what they enjoy in the future.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    carnivore likes this.
  3. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    The biggest loss of participation is LACK OF ACCESS and here you are advocating against people shooting rough fish some of which are way over populated and invasive. Maybe they can't afford a boat? Just toss the fish back in, the smell of dead fish WILL hurt the image!

4. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    No fish should be left on the bank, but it can’t be near as bad as Barkley and ky dams. When we bowfish down there it usually takes us an hour of cleaning up rotten fish just to get the smell away enough to be able to stand there

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    FOWLER2671 likes this.
  5. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    Your way off point, the practice is ILLEGAL....It can't happen period...You think me bringing it up is bad, just let the anti's get ahold of it (and they will in time)... Then we have real problems....Lack of participation can be addressed in other ways...If you don't like not being able to shoot from the road, work to get the law changed...But if your alright with an illegal bowfishing method you are already on the wrong side of this.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  6. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I started fishing off of a bridge(Dam) at five years old. It's about as natural of a thing to do as anything I can think of. I see no difference in using a bow.

7. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    Well yeah since it's a natural thing to do and all, it must be alright...Right?

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don’t know ,but it seems to me,bowfishing is not considered hunting ,but fishing .The only thing that seems to be against the law ,to me ,is disposing of the fish on the bank.Its stated in the fishing guide,just my opinion.

9. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    Kentucky. Statute 150.360 paragraph 4...I believe the issue is discharging a weapon from the road, not whether it's termed as hunting or fishing.

10. gung

gung 8 pointer

Jan 29, 2004
    Graves County
    Hmm I’ve done it for years. Had plenty of police and game wardens stop and shoot the bull. Never had a problem.

11. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    Most game wardens and cops don't even know the laws outside of spotlighting deer, no plug in a shotgun, exceeding bag limits, hunting out of season, etc....You might never have a problem if no one ever pushes it, but it's illegal without a doubt, so just don't kid yourself.

12. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I think it is one of those gray areas that can be argued either way depending on who has the ticket book in their hand. Kentucky statute 150.360 (paragraph 4)... No person shall discharge any firearm, BOW AND ARROW, crossbow or other similar device, upon, over or across any public roadway. I guess one could argue a shoulder is not a roadway so u aren't actually upon the road. For that matter, a bridge is a bridge not a road way even though it is driven over. I don't agree with leaving the fish on a bridge, roadway, or bank for that matter and even prefer they not be thrown in the water but that's just me. If I was gonna bowfish I would be composting or something with the fish not just tossing it back. Again, I think it is one of those gray areas that has a different answer from many people. I myself have fished from bridges and been checked without issue in rural areas. Just my opinion but I think it is legal to shoot the fish but poor sportsmanship for leaving them on the bridge to rot.

Dark Cloud and muddhunter like this.
  13. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    A road, and it's right of way, are all legally the roadway....A bridge is actually a roadway also.... It's pretty clear in paragraph #4 that you can't legally shoot a bow and arrow from a roadway, so to me that's pretty clear cut, not a gray area in the least IMO....Now enforcement is another issue, you may, or may not be cited...But I would't want to try and defend myself when a statute clearly spells out the law.

14. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    Okay, Just talked to a state hwy engineer....Good and Bad news.... Statute 189.010 states: "Roadway" means that portion of a hwy, improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel EXCLUSIVE of the berm or shoulder, so that means you can hunt from the berm or shoulder right? ....WRONG, he also says a county road BRIDGE legally has NO berm or shoulder, so it's solely a ROADWAY...So that takes us back to Statute 150.360 (paragraph # 4)..."No person shall discharge any firearm, BOW AND ARROW, crossbow, or other similar device, upon, over or across, any public ROADWAY"....So shooting from a bridge/roadway is a no,no.

15. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Again man I don't think anyone is trying to argue with you many of us are just are gonna have different opinions. It is a gray area period. I as well as many fellas here have been checked by wardens or talked to by Johnny law while fishing/bowfishing from a bridge and not the first word was said about legality except for licensure checks. The gray area comes from the person holding the ticket book like I said before. If they wanna issue a ticket they will, if they don't they wont.