Bowfishing from road bridges.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by huntingwildman, Apr 28, 2018.

1. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    But know we are forgetting Statued 150.440 and creel for said roadway

2. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    Oh yeah, I'm not arguing either, just want everyone to be informed....It does all come down to the person with the ticket book, and their propensity to give citations, or whether or not someone registers a formal complaint on the bowfisherman.

3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville

Just how does one of those registered formal complaints work? I see it going something like this:

Conservation Officer or some other Law Enforcement Officer pulls up to rural county bridge after being sent by dispatcher who received a registered formal complaint to find father and two of his kids aged 6 and 10 bowfishing off of the side of the bridge. Officer observes 10 yr old pointing out a sucker fish to dad who has a bow fishing rig and sees that the 6 yr old is half heartedly looking into the 5 gallon bucket that contains two sucker fish and one carp.

Officer: Afternoon Folks! you all having any luck?

Dad: Afternoon Officer. We are mainly just killing time. got a couple though. Jokers are hard to hit from up here.

Officer: Well thats nice. Good to see you out here with the young'ns. Daddy letting you kids shoot any?

Kids: No, we can't even pull back the bow. but he says next year we should be able to.

Officer: Hey kids, Listen. I thought when i was walking over here I saw a box turtle over there by the parking area. would you all go check on that for me while I talk to your daddy?

Kids: heck yeh! Gee Whiz mister! a real live box turtle?

Officer: thats right, in the flesh. (kids run off to look for box turtle.)

Officer: It is good to see the kiddos getting out doing something other than the damned video games. good on you. You wouldn't happen to have your license on you would you?

Dad: yes sir right here.

Officer: Look, I'm half embarrassed to say this but some numb nut, do gooder, who didn't have anything better to do than nose around in somebody elses business called in to dispatch to report the crime of the century. Said that someone was shooting rough fish off this old county bridge. I know it doesn't sound like anything bad but when we get these calls we have to come check them out no matter how trivial and weak and sissified and 3 yr old it sounds.

Dad: Oh man! I didn't even realize you weren't allowed to shoot carp from an old rural bridge. I will leave right now. I had no idea. I really wasn't trying to cause any trouble.

Officer: Thats not a problem. I will just run your license, check you for warrants and if everything is ok we will call it no harm no foul. Matter of fact unless this silly twit calls back, as far as Im concerned you just keep doing what your doing. If I had to guess I would say its some goofball lib from california or some other cesspool that likely won't be back out this way anytime soon. Sir you enjoy the rest of your day with the kids. (kids return empty handed)

Kids: Officer, we couldn't find that turtle you were talking about.

Officer: Well, he probably crawled off to find a shady spot to cool down. thank you youngsters for looking. you all have a real nice day with your daddy.

Nock, rabbit dawg and Dark Cloud like this.
  4. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    Lol, Probably, or it could go like this.... After a complaint by a neighbor of loud, rowdy partying teenage bowfisherman on a rural country bridge...Conservation officer pulls up and asks to see their fishing license.

CO glances over at the bridge deck and notices dead fish, both fresh and rotting on the bridge deck.

CO then notices expired tags on license plate of the their vehicle.

CO then looks in car window and sees a bag of pot in the console, and a pistol on the floorboard with handle protruding from under the front drivers seat.

CO arrests said teenagers for wanton waste, expired tags, posession of marijuana, and a concealed deadly weapon.

CO then charges them with violation of statute XXX which states discharging a weapon from a roadway is ILLEGAL, because at this point CO is looking to nail the thugs with any and all charges possible....In today's world my scenario is just as likely, if not more so than yours.

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Anybody ever watch No Time For Sargent’s,when Andy asked the Dr. ,did your moma beat you.Fishing don’t got anything to do with expired tags,or drugs,you would thing if they was going to enforce bowfishing from a road,they would put it in the fishing guide.All fisherman don’t hunt.

6. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    I think it is legal to bow fish with a fishing license OR a hunting license.

7. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    I know those described infractions described aren't directly related to bowfishing, but many times law enforcement makes other charges not related to what they were originally investigating....The fellow who used a father and his children in a scenario was attempting to minimize an illegal practice of discharging a weapon from the roadway through creating an emotion of the CO feeling self remorse of having to enforce the law, and suggesting absurdity for and name calling of the one reporting the violation...My scenario was just as extreme in the other direction to make a point.

Sure you can minimize any law, but you also make yourself vulnerable to prosecution by breaking the law....The solution is simple, if you don't like a law work to have it changed.

8. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    If you use a hunting license, you are prohibited from discharging a weapon from the road....Check your 2017/18 hunting guide page # 9 first paragraph, under Prohibited Hunting Methods.

If you use a fishing license, or if you have no license at all, and just feel like shooting from the road, you are still prohibited from discharging a weapon from the road under statute 150.360 paragraph #4

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  9. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    I wasn't disputing weather it it right or wrong. I was just making a statement on licensing. Lots of sportsman don't know you can use either license.

10. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    I see, if it were me I would buy the fishing license....That way at least you couldn't be accused of HUNTING from the road.

11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I sure wish I had a bridge near by I could go shot carp off.

beauhunter41031 and Dark Cloud like this.
  12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    The new bridge over Ky Lake and the one their building across Barkley.... they put in a full length carp shooting walkway on the south side.

It’s pretty nice .... good protection from vehicles but plenty wide to come to full draw... and people can still walk around you. Lots of Asian carp to target... just a little hard to adjust your lead from that height.
    E68147E0-B3C5-482D-8472-F2B57461984C.jpeg
    5F47DCEB-1AFC-4EF8-9824-84E2D072585C.jpeg

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Count me in

14. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Yeah I think we have bigger Bridges (Pun intended) to cross in the hunting industry than this issue!!

Dark Cloud likes this.
  15. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Spike

Feb 13, 2007
    No problem, go ahead and make light of the situation, minimize it, because you want to keep doing it...Not skin off me other than what could happen if anti-hunters ever push it because we are setting ourselves up for future problems...The law is on their side, not ours...Seen it time and time again with losing trapping priveleges...They find a weakness and exploit it, and this one is way to easy to take advantage of.....IMO, shooting any weapon from any public road is a public relations nightmare from hell, and the KDFWR are fools if they let it go unchecked....Mark my words, we will get burned down the road on this one without a doubt, just trying to call attention to it, so it might have been adverted, but as in most things in life, people usually can't anticipate the consequences of their actions...I'm done, carry on.