Bowfishing w/Muzzy reels

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by Jman, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Do any of you guys use the Muzzy reel when bowfishing? I'm having some issues with mine and thought someone on here might be able to offer some advice (other than "get an AMS) that would help.

Thanks!

2. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Buddy of mine has one. Don't think he likes it. He mainly uses it as a backup. I shoot a ams that I have had for 15 years.

3. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Do you reel in the fish with your AMS? I spoke with a rep for them and he said that the AMS reel is desinged for retrieval of the line and arrow only. And that if you had a fish on line you needed to lay the bow down and pull it in by hand. Allegedly the Muzzy reel is heavy enough to crank the fish in w/o doing the hand pull.

I've watched a lot of videos of both brands. Both appear to be successful. It looks like the money is about the same either way.

4. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    By hand is what we do. The muzzy is a better if you want to reel in the fish. But I don't think it will hold up long. If there's two of us. One will pull the fish in while other reels up slack line. Once to boat usually lay bow down and get gaft or club. Just do not get the string wrapped around your fingers or hand.

5. gung

gung 8 pointer

Jan 29, 2004
    Graves County
    Muzzy is all I shoot anymore. What issues are u having?

6. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    I've always just reeled them in with my AMS. Never had any issues doing that. Obviously it's easier and better if someone can pull your line while you reel on a really big fish but I shot a 31 pound common last summer and just reeled it in on the reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. limbhanger

limbhanger 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2004
    w.ky.
    Muzzy is all we use too. Most parts are avail.

8. Bentstick

Bentstick Spike

Aug 11, 2009
    Over Yonder
    I just bought the new Muzzy XDS Pro can't wait to try it out!

9. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Whitleycotrapper,
    I had heard that AMS wouldn't warranty parts, etc., if their reel had been used to crank in weight. That may be not be true, I don't know. I've never dealt with them. It was something with regard to two rubber rollers used to retrieve the line not being designed to reel in weight?..... and in time, would wear out prematurely??.........thus the need for pulling them in by hand. Like I said, I'm not knocking AMS at all. I've not heard of an actual experience from anyone that backs this story. I was speaking with a guy that restores Oneida bows and sets them up with AMS tackle. That maybe rumor and not fact. No doubt there are plenty of AMS success stories on here.

Gung,
    I called "Mark" with Muzzy and hopefully he has me straightened out now. I have my reel on a 50-55lb older compound bow. I used their roller rest and arrows. I couldn't stop the line from catching while dispensing, when shooting. After speaking with him I learned that you have to keep the reel drum completely full of the fast flight line. Mine was about 1/2 full at best. It was creating a sharp angle from the axle, up to the edge of the drum, before dispensing out. With the speed of a compound, this angle needs to be at a minimum. The fix for that (he advised) is filling that drum full. He said that their 100' roll would feel their reel to the top just like it's supposed to be. I'm going to reload mine to the top and see if that takes care of the problem. I felt a little embarrassed that I didn't figure that out for myself before posting here or calling Muzzy. Oh well............

10. limbhanger

limbhanger 8 pointer

Feb 10, 2004
    w.ky.
    I've never been able to get the whole 100' on there, always have to cut off about 8'-10'.

11. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Limbhanger, you are correct. Bought a new spool last night and that's exactly what happened. The crank started loading up on me about 10' short of emptying the spool. Gonna try some practice shots with it tonight to see if its working okay.

12. T-wil69

T-wil69 6 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I use a muzzy, good reel just don't forget to push the button before you shoot arrows aren't cheap:)

13. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    While you are messing with this issue add a 2nd pickup pin if you haven't already. You will be glad you did.