Build your own scouting camera

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Turtleky, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Ran into this on the web and thought I would share it.
    http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/homebrew-cams.html

2. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    We made one and it takes good picture but will use all of the film in short order. I would make one using a timer if I were you. It also is very sensitive to movement and take nice pictures of the scenery.

3. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Thanks for the info. I was considering making one with a digital camera. Without using my existing digital camera (which I don't think the wife would appreciate) I don't think I can save enough money to make it worth doing, I'll probably just do without until I get enough money to buy something nicer. Any recommended brands?

4. buckchaser

buckchaser 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2003
    Ky, USA.
    I would recommend the non-typical deer cam. I have one and they are easy to learn to use and they take good pictures. Like any thing else you get what you pay for.

5. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    STAY AWAY FROM MOULTRIE. I'm guessing that since you were on JHP, that you've seen the not so kind reviews on Moultrie cameras. I wish I'd known.

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

6. kyhunter28

kyhunter28 8 pointer

Oct 23, 2002
    ky.
    I bought 2 cameras last year from walmart, they were called photo trackers. They were $129 dollars a piece. I went to get some film developed off of them at walmart and they had the same camera there for $118 dollars, I belive they were called "yard gaurd", they are using them for home security and so forth, so I picked up another. Here is a couple of pics off of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    Nice pics, Looks like you did OK with that camera!

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

8. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Nice Pictures! How do they do on film? Do they snap through it real quick or can you leave them in the field for awhile.

9. greenskeeter

greenskeeter Cyber-Hunter

Nov 3, 2002
    Bardstown, KY, USA.
    Great shots! Thanks for sharing. Are they from this year?

10. kyhunter28

kyhunter28 8 pointer

Oct 23, 2002
    ky.
    I have my delay on 5 minutes Turtleky, I am going through a at least a roll a film a day. These pics are all from this year, im about to put a couple more pics up after i get them scanned.