Cabin Building.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by KnottCoArcher, Jan 5, 2004.

1. KnottCoArcher

KnottCoArcher Spike

Jan 4, 2004
    Hindman, KY, USA.
    Hello all,

I am a new member to this forum, and so far I find myself enjoying this site a great deal.

This spring when it starts to warm up a little my cousin and I are going to build a new cabin. It isn't going to be anything fancy, just a place to go camp at. We are looking at trying to make it a place to spend nice summer evenings at, cooking food and relaxing. Then during the hunting season it will be a base camp for out expeditions you could say. We know we want a porch, a room were we can cook on one side and dine, then on the other side have something of a living room. Then a seperate room for the sleeping area.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, pictures, layouts, or any general information that I could use to plan the building of this cabin. Any information will be greatly appreciated by the both of us.

-Eli

2. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    Have indoor plumbing if at all possible! I have been to several different hunting cabins over the years and most lacked one thing, an indoor pooper.

Welcome to the forum, make yourself at home, pretty good bunch of guys here!!

[​IMG]

3. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    Eli, go to the pioneer village at Redfox, look at how the pioneers did it, then take the ideas from each cabin you like best, and some of your own ideas, and build your cabin accordingly. Also, it seems that the first edition of the Foxfire series had a section on how the pioneers built their cabins.

4. RTC

RTC 6 pointer

Dec 31, 2002
    Hi Eli and welcome

Believe me, there is nothing better than having your own cabin. I built mine about 7 years ago and have enjoyed it immensly. I agree with Grant on the indoor plumbing. I added a bath to mine this year and have really enjoyed the hot shower along with the pooper.

Also take ksp's advice and go look at some to get some ideas. I have seen several hunting cabins and they all are unique in their own way. Some I have been too are nothing less than a house and others are not much more than a barn. If you, or anyone else, would want to travel to Metcalfe Co., I would be happy to show you mine and a few others in the area so you could get a few ideas.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Go to Home Depot and look at their storage buldings. They have one that's 2 stories with a carport. A friend got one last year and had them build it on his land, which is part of the price. Then he truned the carport into a large porch and ran indoor plumbing and electricity. He also inslated the walls and builded buck beds, 4 downstairs and 2 upstasirs with a queen size bed in the next upstairs room. The total price came to something like $9,500 that incues all the extra work he did himself. It's very nice with more than enough room for everybody.

The main space downstairs is used for a cooking/eating area and has more than enough room for relaxing and playing cards.

6. beef

beef 6 pointer

Oct 1, 2003
    norton, va, USA.
    Eli,I have had my cabin sence 95.It is made out of block I have a 30 by 20 foot main room with a huge stone fire place in the middle.Also a side screen in porch and a 20 by 14 foot bedroom off to the side.Also a small bathroom no runing water for the pooper have to pack water to flush it.But its worth it on them cold nights dont have to go to the outhouse.[:D]I have pic will try to get them on here.

7. KnottCoArcher

KnottCoArcher Spike

Jan 4, 2004
    Hindman, KY, USA.
    Yeah, I have to agree with this indoor plumbing type of idea. Even if it is just a toilet that I have to pack water in to flush with. We already built a cabin once before, it turned out to more of a trial run for us. It looks nice and all, but it wound up being to small to use often. Its one room with two bunk beds, and a big couch, a dining table, and stove. There are too many cracks in the walls to stay up there when its cold, the stove will heat it up but you have to constantly keep a roaring flame going to stay warm. I get tired of going out back to find a nice rock to use as a restroom, especially this time of year. The ceiling inside is 5'10" and I'm 5'11", obviously I wasn't there the day the ceiling was put up.

The next cabin we build we definitely have more room inside. A place to cook and eat. A place to sit and talk and play cards. A place to sleep. Then a place to use the bathroom. A ceiling tall enough so I don't have to bend over.

I appreciate the ideas given so far. There are things I am now concidering I hadn't thought of before. Thanks.

-Eli

8. RTC

RTC 6 pointer

Dec 31, 2002
    Well the wife had a hen party last night which gave me the excuse to spend the night at my cabin. Like most of the state, this is what I woke up to this morning. I hated leaving this morning!

[​IMG][/url][/img]