Call to Ohio River Duck Hunters

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by bridgeman, Jan 15, 2016.

1. bridgeman

bridgeman 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    New richmond , Ohio
    As most of you know I duck hunt the Ohio River from Portsmouth Ohio (mile 356) to Louisville Kentucky (mile 602), but I mainly hunt around Maysville Ky (mile 408). This has been the worse season I have had in over 45 years of hunting the Ohio River. How are you other Ohio River Hunters doing? I have shot 4 ducks in 4 hunts.

2. damon kustes

damon kustes 6 pointer

Jan 16, 2002
    louisville
    You can't kill paper ducks ....50 million my A______

3. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    They're all swimin on a garage floor down on the south end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 10 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Tons of water has em scattered everywhere. Hopefully this freeze will consolidate them on the river.

5. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Barren has a few, not eat up with em, Cumberland River Burkesville to Tn line numbers are way down.

6. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    KY river had decent numbers around Thanksgiving and Christmas had them really pour in. Problem is they give several passes and we wait to long to shoot before they bail or they come in on a string and we miss. Have had a few woodies buzz us for weeks, but they never offer much of a shot. I'm hoping it all comes together before the season ends.

7. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Bridgeman, I hunt the Ohio a lot. This is the worst year I have ever seen. The most ducks I've seen on the river was back in October during the IN season. There were several back then. Marsh I took off Thursday in hopes with the freezing there might be some flying about on the river. I was wrong. I have killed some on the river but it's as bad as I've seen it. I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to do tomorrow.

8. bpro

bpro Fawn

Dec 30, 2014
    NoKY
    I have been out on the river seven times ranging from Augusta KY to Warsaw KY and have only managed to bag 1 goose, and a half dozen doves (challenging with 3"#3's)

I will be out for the next four days and really hope the weather brings something home. My brother works the port in Cincinnati and told me that today he saw more ducks than he has all season. Wish me luck.

9. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    It not about how many you get it about just enjoying the outdoors and being thankful to be able to go the harvest is a bonus. I hunt every day if I could bad season or not

10. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    I think Bridgeman enjoys it plenty. And we enjoy his accounting of it.
    I don't think he was complaining ....just asking how it's going on the river elsewhere.
    But I can't speak for him.

11. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I'm all for enjoying sunrises, good friends and Gods creation but after a bit I sure enjoy some killing too.

12. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

My fat aunt the birdwatcher says the same thing.

13. tstatonky

tstatonky Fawn

Sep 6, 2015
    I predominantly hunt the river as well, and it is just now starting to show signs of becoming a good hunt. What I can tell you that had worked for me is to keep a close eye on the ponds on your way to the ramp near the river. I've found that if any of the ponds I hunt or check have more than a dozen or so birds, the river isn't going to be all that hot. If you were a duck would u rather sit on a farm pond or the nasty ohio given the chance?

feet down a$$ up

14. bridgeman

bridgeman 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    New richmond , Ohio
    BM is right, I am only semi complaining, I love hunting the Ohio River and always enjoy it regardless of how many I shoot. As some of you know I float hunt and typically cover 20 miles of river in a single day, and the ducks just are not on the Ohio in the numbers that I have seen in the past. I am sure it is due to the lack of cold weather, which has not forced them south from the many lakes in Ohio, and Michigan.

15. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    I enjoy it not matter what. I go everyday I'm not working no matter how bad it may be. When I close my eyes in bed I'm so optimistic about the next morning. In that first 5 min I know how it's going to go and unfortunately this year has not been good. I have a couple private spots that luckily allows me to kill something every once in a while but the river seems to always call me back and more times than not I'm solo. I enjoy putting out the decoys and getting them just like I want in hopes that the birds will work the way I want. Everyday is a new day and I will be somewhere the next 2 days hoping to find some birds. Where that will be is a mystery sometimes as I'm driving down the road to go hunt at 430. It's got to get better before I die.