Camping/ Hunting KY in Nov

Discussion in 'Camping' started by Tufrthnails, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    We have been hunting the family farm for a while now, but we are thinking of doing a road trip and hunting public like LBL not sure where yet. My question is what kind of gear do you guys suggest for a FL boy and his brothers. My cousins from KY and TN have been no help whatsoever they think I am crazy for wanting to tent camp and hunt KY. I have several tents for camping in FL, but nothing for the below freezing weather that could easily be had in KY in Nov. I got all the normal camp gear just need some ideas on basically the tent and how to keep it warm.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Tent doesn't matter just get one of your cousins to sleep with you. You should be finr

Tufrthnails likes this.
  3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I once camped out during deer season in a pop up camper. It was 22F that night. Sleeping in thermals, sweat pants and sweatshirt, and one sleeping bag tucked into another kept me decently warm while I slept. But there was nothing I could do to get the camper warm.

4. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

I've done it. Propane heater works wonders in a tent but it's still rough.

5. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Hahaha! you win the net today!

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Get you some kick arse sleeping bags, like -20 rated and some propane heaters and have fun. Heck don't be surprised if it's warm out, at least during the day. You can't predict Ky weather.

7. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Yeah I agree I just don't want to run into weather like we had last nov with those days gusting 30mph in the 20's and rain/sleet I've woke up plenty of times on the Island wearing my little dome tent. I have a system good to -10F but I was thinking more of just general comfort outside of the bag.

8. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    We camped out during an Illinois deer hunt, third weekend in Nov. Had a Cabela's outfitter tent. We did put a plywood floor down. Used a propane heater and I had my blind heater for when I got up and got dressed. Plenty warm. For you FL boys when its 60 degrees or below, invest in some good thermals and dress in layers. wool socks with a sock liner for your feet. 800 gram or above insulated boots. Heck its not CO late season elk camp but it can be cold you sunshine out of staters. LOL

9. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I resemble this remark! I love hunting KY. The terrain is incredible, but I was up there last Jan and that is the last January trip I will go on until I acquire to new gear. Single digits is just to cold for my gear, for this trip I am more worried about my brothers as they are not as willing to suffer the cold and have even less cold weather gear then I do. Side note if anyone is interested Sportsman's guide has the 3 piece military fart sacks rated to -10F for $122. I already have one from my time in the service and have only used the gortex outer piece twice while in Afghanistan which was below 0F and I was fine in the bag. These are what my brothers are buying to use.

10. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    You won't keep a tent warm. I've hammock camped to 25. Not much fun as my stuff is only really designed to go to about 35.

Don't drink anything before bed. Take a wizz before you get in bed. Wear a fleece hat and warm fleece or wool pants, socks, and jacket. Use a mummy bag. You can also heat up water and put it in a nalgene or similar type bottle and put it in the bag with you. Use a good pad or some other way of getting up off the ground.

Personally, I would not camp and hunt LBL in the cold. Just not worth it IMO. I would look hard at another WMA where you would have better success. LBL is A) hard to hunt, the deer have a blue-million places to go and B) the deer density is not as good as other WMA's.

If you just want to go hunt some big woods then LBL is your place. If you want a better shot at a good deer or maybe even a trophy I would go elsewhere.

Good luck.

11. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    You guys are making a mistake sleeping in your clothes, get a better bag It just doesn't get that cold in Ky in Nov a small heater should be plenty to turn on of a morning in any size tent. and yes I have done all here in back of truck no heat and tent and Colorado in -20

12. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I camped a quite a bit during deer season as a teenager and tried it again in my mid twenties and vowed to not ever camp in the late fall/winter on purpose again. Call me crazy but I like drinking beer at the hotel bar and sleeping in a warm bed after an all day sit.

13. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    If you do think a propane heater is the way to go, make sure you get one big enough. When I camped in the pop up, a buddy let me borrow one of the Coleman heaters that mounts onto a small propane bottle. It was woefully undersized. But I don't think it would've even helped in the smallest pup tent.

However, years later, I did get a Buddy heater that I used in a pop up hunting blind when the daytime temp was in the 20's. It wasn't so warm that I could sit in my skivvies, but it kept it comfortable enough that I was able to stay in the blind all day.

Tufrthnails likes this.
  14. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Good info thanks. We do have two buddy heaters at the farm that we have used for just that purpose on those crazy cold days in blinds

15. LoneArrow

LoneArrow Fawn

Jul 21, 2016
    Does anyone have a good recommendation on a good WMA with camping close by?