Can a 17 or 221 Fireball be built as a repeater on a Savage action ?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by hunter15270, Mar 13, 2018.

1. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    I have an unquenchable urge to build a 17 or 221 Remington fireball and I am wanting to build it on a Savage action , has anyone been successful doing this and using it as a bolt action repeater instead of a single shot bolt action ? If you have done this or if you know how to build this please pass along as much information to me as you can . I know that CZ and Remington both built these for awhile in factory chambered rifles , but I am wanting to actually build one on a Savage 110 or 10 action .
    Thank you in advance for any and all help .

2. 454Casull

454Casull Spike

Oct 20, 2006
    Woodford County
    Go to www.savageshooters.com, lots of info. I'm sure it could be since they have rebated rims. It becomes difficult in a bolt action without rebated rims, i.e. 30-30 win, 7.62x54R etc. I have swapped several barrels on Savages, it's pretty simple with the correct tools. Just need a barrel nut wrench, barrel vise or action wrench and head space gauges.

It looks like you will need a 223 bolt head and magazine, shouldn't be difficult at all. It seems like a have seen those cartridges offered on some aftermarket barrels.

3. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    I have seen the barrels offered by a couple of different companies but all the info that I can find on the web about people doing it recommends using it as a single shot due to issues of the empty case not ejecting out of the receiver . I'm really really wanting to build one but cannot find any information about it being successfully built to operate as more than a single shot . Hopefully it can be done though since it seems like there has to be a way since Remington and CZ have both been successful at doing it in the past .

4. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    Ok , so I just saw a Stevens 200 221 Rem. Fireball on GB but it does not describe much about it . Does anyone out there know for sure if this can successfully be built to use with a magazine to feed from the magazine and not just to be individually top loaded one round at a time and if so , can it be made to properly eject the second and third round ?
    Does anyone have any experience doing this , if so please post your experiences. ?
    Thank you so much

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018