Carpenter Bees are out..

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ojibwa62, Apr 6, 2019.

1. We used to put some gravelly sand in an old daisy BB gun and it worked well.

2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Yeah, my Dad called them "White Head Bumble Bees" and used to catch them to my amazement. They never stung him.

3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    The white head ones are males they don't have stingers , betting your dad knew that . The females have black heads and stingers.

4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Yeah. I used to watch him shoot them with his S&W .38. When i was a kid 60 years ago. A lot of shootin going on then, the men shot an old walnut tree so much it killed it. Long ago and far away the Bestest of times.

5. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    are they good pollinator's? they do look like bumble bee's. i cant remember if i seen one carrying pollen. course that aint saying much.

6. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    now i gotta look them up, or get out an kill some. i never seen one with a white head.
    do they only come out at night? must be a lot of different species. serious.

7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    The whole head isn't white , they have a white spot on their head, they are the one you normally see hovering around doing guard duty while the females are boring into your deck and laying eggs.

"Here are some simple facts to help you identify if your unwanted guests are indeed carpenter bees.

First compare its appearance:

Carpenter bees resemble large bumble bees. The first characteristic that distinguishes them from the bumble bee is the smooth blackish-blue colored abdomen. The thorax is where the common yellow, orange and white hairs are, along with dark thick hair on the legs. Carpenter bees can range from ¾” to 1” (1.9 to 2.54 cm) in length. The female carpenter bees can be easily distinguished from the males. Females have a pure black head, while the male heads have white markings. Carpenter bees are considered to be docile, meaning they very rarely sting unless provoked. The females are actually the only ones with stingers."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  8. Absolutely as good as any other bee.

9. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    next time i put one down, i will get out a magnifying glass, to take a look. my short vision starting taking a walk in 2001.
    as far as getting rid of them, or other bug's, anybody ever heard of DE-earth. it eats bugs out from the inside, to the outside of the skeleton. ya could get 50lb's, for about $35 dollars. i got bout 20 lbs left. it only bothers people if inhaled. chalk, chalk dust, is something similar. ants wont cross a chalk line.
    ever wonder why the teacher, wanted someone to bang the chalkboard erasers together? OK, the last line was a gag. maybe then some.. lols
    if ya got one of those big ant mounds, on your place, put this stuff in a circle, around the mound.. ant's wont cross it.

drakeshooter likes this.
  10. I use DE in my chicken coop, any animal’s bedding and dust my garden in it.

00noturkey and ojibwa62 like this.
  11. They will eat thru stained wood. My cabin is Hemlock logs with stained exterior and they attach it every spring. Killed one this weekend.

12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    How often do you stain or treat, as I stated earlier they will bore into older stained or treated wood but typically not freshly treated (within) a couple years, after that all bets are off.. It was our #1 call in the spring right behind ants.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I had one of those males on guard duty just today. Working on some flower boxes at the end of the drive for the wife and we have a cedar split rail fence around them on two sides. One would hover and chase off any wasp that came close. Never bothered me just buzz past a few times. It didn't seem to care for the tiller tho and hit it a couple times.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Don’t think those traps ,with a jar on the bottom works, at least the ones I made didn’t ,I’ve got six hung up ,in different places, haven’t caught one.

15. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I had a few go kamikaze under the lawn mower deck today. Must be some good pollen. Kicked up a few baby bunnies too. Glad they didnt end up under the deck.