Carpenter Bees are out..

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ojibwa62, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Those may be bumble bee's if in the ground not wood bee's. Hard to tell them apart at times.

ojibwa62 and Ataulbe1 like this.
  2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    That's true. Especially from on the mower.

3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Bumble bees have a hairy abdomen that may have some yellow markings. Carpenter bees have a bare, shiny black abdomen. If they were hanging around a wood fence more then likely a carpenter bee.

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I had some boring into the underside of my back deck one year. When I seen one go into a hole I took my pump grease gun and filled in the hole behind them. Tip of grease gun hose and bee hole are about the same size. That seem to work OK.

Had a neighbor who built a Western Red Cedar sided house and they ate it full of holes in one year. He finally got a pro to come out and spray the entire house with something called Tim-bore and that fixed the problem
    edit...you can buy that stuff online and it is not that expensive and do it yourself.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Timbor is mainly used for termite treatment but it will work for Carpenter bees, it normally a wettable powder and mixed with water.. Its also used for powderpost Beetles and wood decaying fungi.

We used it in new construction by spraying the baseplates on slab homes..

Keep it mind since it is a wettable powder it can leave a white residue. But that is often preferred to Swiss cheese wood.

6. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I need me one of these!

7. Dad of 3

Dad of 3 Fawn

Apr 22, 2018
    Flemingsburg
    Has anyone ever tried or heard of painting soffits or porch ceilings blue to repel wasps? My grandma used to say they thought it was the sky and wouldn’t build nests there.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I can tell you a quick fix for wasp, may sound crazy but it works. Get a lunch size brown paper bag, fill it near full of plastic bags twist tie the top then hang it in clear view of the area you don't want wasp around. Ours hangs off the chain to the front porch swing. Same bag been out there for at least 3 years. From a hundred wasp a day you may see one or two now do a fly by.
    I need to go hang a couple at my box blind so I don't have to contend with them wasp come fall. IDK if a brown plastic bag will work as well but would last longer being out in the open.

9. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    I know blue attracts some bugs.

10. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i heard something similar. it mimic's a hornet's nest or something, an keep's wasp away.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    996085EB-3A16-4CA7-AA4B-47809E6DCF93.jpeg
    Little more challenging. 5 so far.

12. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    best bee brothers traps. get them online I have probably caught 75-100 so far this year have emptied some of them 3 times. have two hanging in the one shed that they have almost destroyed and they are full in a week. now have them hanging on every outdoor wood structure I have.

13. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Do these traps have pheromones that attract more bees or are they just traps.. I know with some traps like jap beetle traps they will attract more to your area.

14. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    they don't recommend using a "bait" I didn't catch any till I did use some of the pheromones but they were already there so attracting them is fine as long as I catch them. I have 3 wooden sheds two decks and a wooden barn on my property so they are already attracted to it.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I must be doing something wrong,I made six ,following a plan on the internet,I’ve caught one bee.