chicken Question..

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ojibwa62, Apr 18, 2019.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    To clip it not to clip their wings..

The last chickens we had we lived in a subdivision and needed to keep them in our fenced yard.. These will be free range and possibly subject to all sorts of critters dogs, yotes , Mt. Lions etc etc..

So should I clip the wings or not?

BTW when I say clip I mean clipping the long flight feathers off.

2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I wouldn't.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    That's what I'm thinking, plus don't feel like clipping 32 chickens..

4. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I free range mine and I don't clip em. I want them to be able to get into a tree should they get into a predatory situation with a fox or yote.

OLE RASPY and ojibwa62 like this.
  5. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i get the terms mixed up. aint free range where a chicken can move in a 5'x5' spot. they got the eggs ya buy, in the grocery store. yokes are yellow, an tasteless. open range are farm type chickens. get to go anywhere they want for the most part, eggshell are hard to crack, an the yokes are orange-yellow. stick to the plate.
    when there are old eggs, i let the kid's have them. they have the same problem i do, when i go to bust them. them shells are hard, and bounce off the ground. i wont let the kid's throw them, a'gin a building or a car. put's a whole new meaning on egging some one, or thing.
    them open range chicken's need their wings. + once they have a place to roost, they will be back, to their place to roost. they may cover an acre, or more during the day, but have the best egg's.

6. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Free range to me are chickens that roam all over yard and fields around the house , they stay in a coop at night and usually go back into the coop to lay eggs, I think open range and free range are interchangable. Store bought eggs come from chickens that have less then 1'x1' and no roaming..

7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Only issue we had was ONE that flew the most got out when the dog was out there and was promptly dispatched. Oh and the duck.

8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    They need the ability to fly imo, mine are roosting two and three tiers high in the tobacco barn since I moved them. I must have some predation up here because I have not seen my main rooster and a black hen since weds

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Probably coons

barney likes this.
  10. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Mine roam all over the yard, probably venture bout 200yds from the coop. They go to bed each night in their coop. Auto door on coops shuts keeping em safe through the night. When you coop your birds in a barn, coons and possums can get in there and killem while they sleep!

beauhunter41031 and ojibwa62 like this.
  11. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    While mine are still young and growing in the coop I probably should set the traps and catch any nosey coons that might be hanging around..

Feedman likes this.
  12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    DONT CLIP THEM. Gives them a chance to get away from something. I haven't caught a Coon in months. But my traps are sit every night. JUST IN CASE.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  13. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    A farmer wanted to have his hens serviced, so he went to the market looking for a rooster. He was hoping he could get a special rooster - one that would service all of his many hens.

When he told this to the market vendor, the vendor replied, "I have just the rooster for you. Henry here is the horniest rooster you will ever see!"

So the farmer took Henry back to the farm. Before setting him loose in the hen house though, he gave Henry a little pep talk. "Henry", he said, "I'm counting on you to do your stuff." And without a word, Henry then strutted into the hen house.

Henry was as fast as he was furious, mounting each hen like a thunderbolt. There was much squawking and many feathers flying, till Henry had finished having his way with each hen. But Henry didn't stop there, he went in to the barn and mounted all the horses, one by one and still at the same frantic pace. Then he went to the pig house where he did the same.

The farmer, watching all of this with disbelief, cried out, "Stop, Henry, you'll kill yourself." But Henry continued, seeking out each farm animal in the same manner.

Well the next morning, the farmer looked out and saw Henry lying there on his lawn. His legs were up in the air, his eyes rolled back, and his long tongue hanging out. A buzzard was already circling above Henry.

The farmer walked up to Henry saying, "Oh you poor thing, look what you did, you've gone and killed yourself. I warned you big buddy."

"Shhhhh," Henry whispered, "The buzzard is getting closer."

bondhu, Meatstick, Ataulbe1 and 5 others like this.
  14. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    That joke is terrible;; got any more??

barney and ojibwa62 like this.
  15. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    F%#KING COYOTE!!! Every morning I go to the bathroom open up the window, set at my thinking stool and smoke a cigarette, we had a big night last night so I was a little behind my normal schedule but no less than 20 minutes ago as I follow my procedure I hear some chickens sounding off bad, I raised up and look out the window to find a damn yote ten feet out the window chasing chickens in the yard. I got up butt naked without wiping and ran through the house to the front door and proceeded to chase him out of my yard. Oddly enough my first instinct I did not grab the gun which I’m puzzled by but things happened so fast. Just made a call to my predator hunting friend down the road and that dude is going to have a dirt nap later on today when we get the caller out