Chigger Hell

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Rhyno Footer, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Rhyno Footer

Rhyno Footer Spike

Feb 26, 2013
    'Merica
    I was up planting food plots a few weeks ago, and got into some Boone and Crocket chiggers. Most miserable few weeks of my life. I tried Epsom Salt baths, Neosporin, Hydrocortisone, Benadryl Cream and liquid, Nail Polish, Nail Polish remover, peroxide, Calamine etc. Finally broke down and went to the DR after a week, and they put me on a steroid cream.. A week later and my left leg started to get infected, I got a bad fever, and had to go back. DRs put me on Doxycycline, a very strong antibiotic which made me vomit and have incredible stomach pains. Im finally back to almost 100%, still have some minor itching, but holy cow... Something so small can make you so miserable.

2. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Hope you're feeling better, but it a little unusual for a Doctor to prescribe an antibiotic for chigger bites. O-T-C medications like: Hydrocortisone and Benadryl could be harmful too.

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I haven't tried the Sawyers spray people speak of but this is where I draw the line with worrying about deer smelling me. I always spray down before I walk in with Cutter or some type of chigger spray. No deer worth being miserable for weeks over.

4. Bullet&bow

Bullet&bow Fawn

May 1, 2016
    Louisville
    I can say that the Sawyers permethryn and a Thermacell really do work. Since archery opened I have been in the woods four times for average 5 hours each and only sustained 4 bites of any kind. No ticks. Blind and stand

5. labwild

labwild 6 pointer

Jan 29, 2006
    Mercer Co., Ky.
    Had to remove a couple deer ticks yesterday. Shooter's Choice Bore Cleaner works great. Soak a patch and apply. 15 or 20 seconds and the critter comes off. Don't think I would use on chiggers though!

6. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    You might have gotten into a patch of Turkey Mites like my BIL did a couple weeks ago. They ate him alive and he had to call in sick from work.(which he never does)They are about the size of a period on these sentences. They burrow in and cause you to itch like crazy for a few days. I looked them up and they are the larvae of a tick.

7. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
    Use lice shampoo and apply to skin while dry

Kills chiggers and itch instantly

8. Rhyno Footer

Rhyno Footer Spike

Feb 26, 2013
    'Merica
    The antibiotic wasn't for the bites themselves, but to fight the infection i got from them.

9. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    I can vouch for the Sawyers, I have been in the woods, deer and squirrel hunting, several times and so far not a single bug on me. It doesn't have a bad smell like some of the other bug sprays, spray your clothes down a couple days before hunting in them and let them hang, it stays in your clothes 45 days or up to 6 washes, you can still spray scent killer on, to help. I love the stuff.

Rhyno Footer likes this.
  10. Yup, them is turkey mites and they are the spawn of hell. I never ever encountered them until 3 years ago when I started hunting around Morehead. Seems they are in pockets here and there. Wet grasses are the worst but you can never tell where they will be. Deet had little or no affect on them. Once they bite you, I think they come out at night and move up your leg or arm and bite again. Will do this for about a week. Each bite itches 10x worse than any chigger. The more you scratch the worse it itches. I got two bites on my leg a few weeks ago. within a week, I had a dozen spots. Gawd help you if you get a bunch on you. You will not be able to sleep. After about a week or so, they seem to explode under the skin causing even more itching and a rash. Usually after 3-4 weeks they die and you will heal up. They do leave scars though. My Doc gave me a steroid cream that does help. She says all her squirrel hunters are the ones to get em.

The Sawyers spray does keep them mostly off. But, I still have picked up 5 or six this year. Never get em in Eastern, KY or WV but Rowan Co is full of em and DBNF is the worst place of all. Best treatment is to not get em in the first place. Doc told me to also use the little insect repellant bracelets from Walmart. Put one on each ankle and one on each wrist. Those do have an odor. That may or may not spook the deer.

Irish

11. bowcrazy3

bowcrazy3 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2009
    Seed ticks. Use a spray on your clothes that has permethrin as the active ingredient. Spray it on the day before you hunt and let it dry. Take an extra can to freshen up.

12. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I get crushed with them now and then...I'm not a doctor, but what I do is brutally squeeze the fluid out. It hurts and leaves a nasty welt, but it stops the itching and heals.
    Horse fly or cattle treatment is permithryn. I mix my own for cheap.

13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Every spring, I make a permethrin solution and soak my pants in it for a few minutes. I then remove them and let them dry. Wash them before you wear them, and you are good to go for the whole season outdoors.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    I start using permethrin around opening of spring turkey season and use it religiously until late october.

15. yelper

yelper 8 pointer

Nov 17, 2003
    I fell for you man! I had over 150 on both legs below the knees way back and let me tell you, you can think if nothing else for weeks. Permetherin is the deal and I sure wish you good luck w/never getting them like that again.