Child killed by dog

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Wildcat, Feb 8, 2019.

1. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    We had our 14yo pit mix euthanized a few weeks ago due to a tumor on her brain causing seizures and other healthy problems. While she was absolutely the best dog I've ever had and great with other animals and our lil boy (now 4yo almost 5yo). IDK if I'd have another one now. I'm well aware of what they are capable of, both the good (it is not uncommon for them to be companion dogs for lonely elderly people) and the bad (can kill kids) and it just isn't worth even a super small risk to have a dog that might maul or kill my baby (the current child and the one we're pregnant with). I'd never forgive myself if I allowed that to happen "on my watch".

We still have two bigger dogs; a border collie mixed with something tall and athletic and a pyrenese/aussie mix puppy thats not even a year old. Our pit mix was tiny, she was noticeably overweight at 40lbs. Both of the big dogs are good with other animals (both are actually submissive to other alpha/dominant animals, including our cat LOL), love people and are great with the kids (my wife also watches a 1yo baby).

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    3FFFEB68-0E29-4381-A249-AB6BE6563B26.jpeg This is Crosely dog. He is the ONLY family dog breed. That’s not debatable. People own Arabian and thoroughbred horses that have no business caring for them. Same with pitbulls. I hear a of lot more pitbull attacks than I do rogue racehorses. Just saying. Pitbull owners need to be held criminally liable for their dogs attacks.

Carl likes this.
  3. I’d have to debate that labs are the only family dog.

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    My daughter’s best freind has the sweetest horse youve ever met, except it hates my daughter. Tries to bite and kick her. Hundreds if not thousands of people have been around her and the dang thing has only shown animosity towards my daughter who is the most kind hearted kid in school. Its really weird.

5. wv67

wv67 8 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    That’s odd , I’ve met folks in Illinois during these dog shows that swear the best pet to be around kids is a chow chow I always heard those dogs was aggressive in nature labs are just great dogs

EdLongshanks likes this.
  6. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Don't see many chows these days thank God. The few I was around was very unpredictable. I figured they genetically screwed up their brain along with that funky purple tongue they had lol.
    I know of one little female pit that's sweet as can be. With that said ive never seen her around small children to observe her behavior so I'd always side on the cautious side.. just because

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Your daughter’s best friend needs to lunge whip the shit out of that horse and control its feet. To the point of exhaustion

8. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    If your daughter is nervous around her or especially timid then that could be a reason particularly if the mare is a herd boss type or intensely insecure. Other reason would be if she looks like someone that abused her--or wears hats--which horses tend to dislike if theyve been abused by people with hats. Lastly only other reason would be she doesnt like the way your your daughter handles her

9. bigbonner

bigbonner 8 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I worked for a rich old man once that had a glass eyed horse . It was so mean to everyone that entered his field . There always had to be two people to work on fence or anything in his field, one to watch and one to work . That da** thing would come across after you , kicking and biting .
    I would catch that mean thing and hold him by the halter and I wanted to break his neck at times. He knew who was scared of him and who wasn't.
    I do know that if you hit a horse right behind the ear with a shovel he will knock out and you may think you are fired but they come back to and will still be as mean:rolleyes:

10. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    Thing probably had a testicle or two hiding out.

11. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    But pits... they dont growl before they bite. They escalate play very quickly. They bite, grab, and wring themselves around causing far more damage than other dogs will. They were bred to be tough and aggressive and persistent.
    And yet youll always have people saying 'naw my baby wouldnt hurt a fly!" Like--sure, thats great--but apparently they are really good at killing children and adults.

Sorry it hurts youre feelings but dogs are still basically wolves, all the instincts are still there, and we bred this strain of wolf to grab a hold of fricking bulls and other dogs and pigs with 8" tusks. Does it really go too far for people to imagine letting them around a baby or small child might be a stupid idea??

And adding, dogs dont see your kid as an extention of an alpha male owner, they see it as another pack member (if they dont see them as a squeaky toy) who cannot defend itself much less control them and who also is taking away attention, affection, and resources from their own status in the pack. If anything dogs naturally see our small babies and toddlers as a threat to their position which is easily overcome with force.

Lastly, dogs are weird animals. And if you ever die while one is in the house with you statistically speaking there is an excellent chance that dog will start to eat you soon after you expire. And theyll start with your face. Whether they have a full belly or not.
    If thats mans best friend then so was jefferey dahmer.

drakeshooter and JR in KY like this.
  12. Yeah the troubles with mine are the strong instinctive prey drive, from 0-60 wound up in an instant and hard to calm down again once in an aggressive state. When my rooster attacked her she snatched him up and I had to chase and beat the brakes off her to get her off but he was dead. She has never once messed with my hens, before or after but I guess she considered that rooster fair game. To be fair he had attacked me several times and I’d nearly ended his existence myself on a few occasions lol. Anyway the point is they are wound up different than other breeds , are aggressive and difficult to calm down when in a frenzy and then when you throw in a mouth I could easily put my two fists in attached to a 65 pound anvil of solid muscle it ain’t hard to figure you got a tiger by the tail.

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County

Spot on. Whenever I hear someone say the cliche’ “it’s the owner not the breed”, I respond with the actual facts about how this breed came about, and say, “BS, it most certainly IS the breed”.

Statistically, the owners of Pits have ZERO evidence that it’s anything other than the breed, when it comes to fatalities from domestic dogs.

14. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    When dealing with our mean horses and donkeys, we found that a cattle prod was a pretty good attitude adjuster.

15. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    And ya'll are underestimating intimidation and fairness when it comes to horses. Tact and empathy will get you alot farther with them.
    All anyone ever needs with a horse is a halter and a rope and a bit of thought and you can work them out any way you want.