choosing my first rifle

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by cbs, Oct 28, 2003.

1. cbs

cbs Fawn

Oct 28, 2003
    Mchenry, IL, USA.
    Hi all, Im new to hog hunting and am very interested in buying my first rifel,(use to shotguns) Im looking at buying a winchester model
    70 but cant decide what caliber to choose, I like the super short 223 & 243, or should I stick to a standered 270wsm,7mm-wsm,300wms?
    I would like a strong caliper so I may use this for deer, but I dont need A big game gun, I want to choose a good all around caliper as this is my first rifle, thanks all for your advise

2. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    First(and perhaps most important) find a rifle that fits YOU...feels good to YOU. Hogs can get huge and are very dangerous especially when they're wounded so I'd want "more gun" than a .223 or .243(the .243 is an awesome deer rifle..might not be enough for a large hog )

I think it would be a mistake to start out with ANY of the mags(short or otherwise)...the recoil/muzzleblast can teach you very bad habits hard to break(such as flinching) and they shouldn't be needed for what you're looking for.

Any of the "all around calibers" should do just fine 7mm-08(wife just bought one for herself....it's an awesome rifle!)....270 .308 and if recoil(kick) doesn't bother you too much 30/06(shotguns are different with a rifle ONE bullet has to hit the "target" to get the job done..if you're worried about the gun's kick you most likely won't ever shoot very well with a rifle)[:)]
    I hope that's enough to "get you started"!{:D]

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

3. Larry Carter

Larry Carter 8 pointer

Mar 2, 2003
    Crab Orchard, Ky, USA.
    Hogs can be tough but my Texas buddies use varmint caliber rifles for the most part. Agree that the new Short mags won't be a great choice for a first gun. Shells won't be real cheap or in every little shop around. Putting enough rounds through whatever gun you choose is more important than any paper ballistic chart.
    All the old standard calibers [243,270,308,30/06]have been around awhile because they work for lots of people in lots of situations. Some of the newer calibers,like the 7mm/08 mentioned are dandies too.If you are going to shoot a lot of practise rounds the 308 is a good all around choice. Lots of good surplus military ammo avaiable at a price that won't break the bank for a day's paper punching.

4. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    Also consider the terrain you are going to be hunting in. Will you be shooting at long distances or closeup? Hunting in mountainous terrian, my son took his first hog with a .44 ruger carbine. It did the job well, was pleasant to shoot, and had extra rounds to back himself up with. But I was also there to back him up. Something to think about. Hogs are not magical, but they are unbelievably tough and tenacious. In close shooting conditions I think that there are several moderate calibers that will suffice nicely without to much recoil, (like the 30-30 and the .35 Remington, for example). The important part is to place your shot well the first time, even if it means passing up a shot to be sure of the shot you take. And be sure to hunt with a buddy..., (especially one that you can outrun!)

5. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

Can't beat a .270 it's good for anything from ground hogs to Elk. Kick is mild as well. I never shot a hog with it but it takes whitetails down very efficently.

6. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    scsims, I'll agree the 270 is a pretty versatle cartride and I know mine has taken everything from whitetails, muleys, proghorn and elk, but I think its marginal on elk. I don't care what O'connor wrote..I think for elk you need a little more umph. But for what cbs is wanting it will fit the bill. Lot of good advice already posted, not a whole lot I can add. Just pick one and practice, practice practice. Its not the bullet or the caliber, its shot placement..

7. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

8. CVN71 Ordnance

CVN71 Ordnance 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    Strunk, Kentucky, USA.
    I am partial to the 30-06, Works on them pesky yotes and good for a 200 yard shot on whitetail, Ammo is reasonable and is carried at almost every store.

GO NAVY!!!

9. cbs

cbs Fawn

Oct 28, 2003
    Mchenry, IL, USA.
    Thanks for all who replyed, Im thinking of going with the 30-06,
    I don't want a gun that kicks so hard Im going to regret taking out for pratice, But Im not afraid of recoil,(Im 37), I was told 30-06
    is a very versatile choice, Is the 270 a magmun round? and I dont know much about the 7mm-08 either, (the more I learn the less I know)
    But I will keep reading,(Ive got to dig out all my old american rifelman mags, As I only use to read them for the shotgunning articals)-never thought I would find an interest in rifels, after all these years around shotguns, feel like a kid again, keep writing!

P.S.to hell with michael moore!

10. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    CBS, the 30-06 is a fine cartridge and is available in ever configeration of gun you can imagine. I've used one for years and have taken deer in ever possible shot. As an all around rifle there is nothing better and I wouldn't use anything else while I got my '06, (except for my S&W .44 revolver, but that's another thread). If the recoil doesn't bother you, select it and be secure in knowing you have a weapon in a caliber that can take everthing from ground squirrels to moose, and everthing in between. I suggest that if you haven't shot the '06 that you borrow or go target practicing with someone that has a '06 and will let you shoot it several times. For that matter, try shooting several of the guns in calibers mentioned in this thread, then decide.

11. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">, I like the super short 223 & 243, or should I stick to a standered 270wsm,7mm-wsm,300wms?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So you will know,270wsm,7mm-wsm,300wms are not "standard" rounds. Meaning, you won't find ammo just anywhere you look. Also, if and when you find it, you will pay dearly compared to the .223 & .243.
    The 30-30, 270 & 30-06 are the most common and least expensive rounds you will find (not counting NATO FMJ ammo). Any will kill a hog, ground hog, yote or deer. The 270 &06 will roll about anything you'll ever see. I am a 'o6 fan.

12. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

270 is not a magnum round unless it is stated. Like gsp wrote 270 wsm wich is a Weatherby magnum. If I'm not mistaken Lazoronni may have a 270 mag as well. I may have mispelled him name.

I forgot about the wsm being winchester short magnum.

13. VinVega

VinVega 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2003
    Flatwoods, KY, USA.
    270wsm is Winchester Short Magnum, different from Weatherby Mags. 270win is NOT magnum, and basically the same thing as a 30-06, except smaller projectile. I'd say give it a try, slightly less recoil than an '06, but just as good knockdown power. But, if you're no fan of recoil, avoid large calibers all together for a first rifle. I made that mistake, and bought a .270win as my first rifle, and it kicked like a mule on steroids, made me flinch so hard I was afraid of the SKS, which is like half the kick. Whatever you pick, it'll take some getting used to in order to shoot well enough to kill a hog or deer.

14. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    .270= the 30/06 "necked down" to .270 bullet rather than the .308(30 caliber)......the 7mm-08 is a .308 caliber necked down to 7mm(.284)...(for more info the .243 is a .308 necked down to 6mm....(.243 caliber) I'm an /06 fan and have shot one for many years...IMHO it's almost impossible to beat one on this side of the ocean..it'll take(and has ) everything that walks/runs ; ammo is available EVERYWHERE you can buy any rifle ammo; hunting weight bullets from 150-165-180-200-225 grains will handle anything from deer/antelope to moose/brown. bear. This is another strong point of the ole /06 plenty of factory ammo available for almost any critter you're likely to ever hunt.

The .270 is a great round also,(shoots a bit flatter than an /06) but given the max bullet weight it DOESN'T pack the potential power of the /06 (look at ME and energy downrange and you'll find that is true)

BTW Jack O'Conner was actually a bigger fan of the /06 than the .270(but he was smart enough to write about a "new caliber" than to say what had been said many times before) FWIW [:D]

<hr noshade size="1">
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

Reloaders Haul Brass!

15. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    Stop right there!

I'm here to tell you that a 30-06 KICKS like a MULE.

Slightly more than a 270 and about the same as 300.

Check out this site
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table_exp.htm

Now I think a 30-30 would be a great intro into the rifle low on recoil and BIG on knock down upto 150-200 yards depending on your skill. If you want more distance than the 308 can give you that (with still less recoil than 270 and 30-06.

However if Hog is the mane game then somthing with fast reloading (like a 30-30 marlin or semi-auto 308)would warrant consideration.

I jumped up from a 30-30 to a 30-06 thinking I was moving up to a superior cartridge (and thinking I needed to take 300++ yard shots). Well it costs a lot more to shoot and kicks a lot more. After much consideration I would have gone with a 308 instead.