Clearing mature timber

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by kyduck1, Nov 27, 2018.

1. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Can someone tell me how difficult it is and approximate cost per acre to clear cut mature timber and get it to tillable type ground? I've got a couple areas that I would really like to open up for food plots.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    If your clearing enough someone will pay you rather than the other way around. What kinds of trees?

1wildcatfan likes this.
  3. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    I had about 5 acres cleared three years ago costs around $2500 but it was a mixture of cedar and poplar trees. They will charge you by the hour so depends on how easy it to push. Don’t expect much the first year lots of roots, probably sow it in wheat or oats, last two years I sowed mine in soybeans got a great stand and the deer and turkey have been wearing them out. As carnivore said if it’s got any marketable timber you may either get it done for free or make money.

4. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Yea, it's really mature mix of hardwoods. Great timber and big trees. Popular, oaks mostly. Just wonder the logistics of getting stumps and roots up and out in order to plant crops as soon as I can. Probably no more than 4 acres to do but it's gonna be a lot of big trees.

5. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Selling the big trees will probably pay for the dozer work. White oak is up.

6. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Ive heard that just curious if a dozer is all I'll need to get rid of all the stumps and roots or what extra equipment I might need to make it happen.

7. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    A good size dozer will get rid of 90 percent of it. Especially if it has a ripper. It can then be cleaned by hand or a landscape rake on a tractor. A good thick plot of wheat will soften and build the soil. Let it seed. Bush hog it in the fall early enough to have a legal dove plot. I'd till it then and sew wheat again for winter. Then the following spring it should be ready to plow or till.

8. bigbonner

bigbonner 8 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Most posters on here would just buy corn and pile it up or a feeder For deer.
    Doves and birds would need tilled up for food plots .

9. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    One thing to consider is removing stumps versus removing trees. Removing stumps after trees are cut takes more time. Its easier to use the tree as leverage to pull them out of the ground. Take this into consideration. May want to have the logger and dozer operator working together.

10. buckfever2

buckfever2 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2009
    What I have done on several occasions for people is bring a excavator in and start removing the trees. As I take one out that is big enough for timber I lay it to the side. Once get several down the logger can start cutting them up. Works well and with the excavator once the trees, tops, and stumps are all gone you can rake through with the trackhoe bucket teeth and get dang near all the roots. I’ve done a lot of this over the years( it’s what I do for a living) and in big timber an excavator is cheaper then a dozer and will do a neater job

carnivore and barney like this.
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Dynamite could be your friend.

barney likes this.
  12. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Dozer work in my area is @$80/hr, excavator is $75/hr. But you also want to find someone that is good with a either and not wasting time going over and over and over. I've seen both the first will save you lots of $$. I had 7 miles of roads opened up on my place couple years ago, guy got it done in a day and a half. Well worth the $$. Got him coming back this spring to open up some ground for 2 new plots of hopefully 3+acres each.

Root plow when your done, then soil sample. If you can get some manure to it to till in, will help you also. Then plant you something in the spring that will fixate nitrogen (clover, buckwheat etc) will help build that soil for your fall planting of whatever. Till your spring planting under increasing your organic matter before planting your fall plot!

bondhu likes this.
  13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I would do a soil sample now. some log yards we have on top of ridges is so poor it needs tons of lime per acre and hundreds of pounds of proper fertilizer per acre. for me, it's cost prohibitive to do it right. we may just plant some different seeds to see if any of it will do any good as is.

carnivore likes this.
  14. bigbonner

bigbonner 8 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    If I am not mistaken you are supposed to check with your local Soil Conservation before clearing up trees .
    There is so many restriction about what a land owner can do. They don't even want you to clean out drainage ditches.

15. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Yeah let's bring the Gov't into it, they have my best interest in mind!