Close call this morning

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by turkeyhunter91, May 5, 2017.

1. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    I decided to go into work late this morning so I could hunt for a couple hrs. I was set up well before daylight, right about daylight I hear a truck going down the gravel road to the next farm over. Well the guy isn't there 25 mins and I hear him shoot right across the holler from me. I'm set there till about 8 and decided i would just head on to work. I get out start packing up and for some reason I decided to wait just a Lil longer so I get back in the blind and call a few times off and on. Around 9 I look out in front of me at 40 yards and a tom pops up from over the hill. I grab my bow and get ready as he slowly is walking in. Well he finally makes it to the decoys but won't turn for me to draw. Finally he turns just enough I think I can slowly draw back, as I'm drawing he catches a lil movement and raises his head and starts to walk back to the side. He stops for a second and the arrow is on its way and he runs over the bank. I started packing my shotgun yesterday just incase I can't get on one with my bow. So I grab it and get out of the blind and see him fly across the holler onto the next hill side. I walk out to where he was and I found 12 or 13 feathere cut off but not 1 drop of blood. I went out to my arrow and there it layed on the ground with my broadhead still closed, so I ended up just clipping some feathers off the back of his neck. I went over and looked all around where he flew just to make certain but I was pretty positive I had just gave his feathers a cut,as close as I cut them off I honestly don't think that i could have hit any closer to his neck without hitting it. I'm just glad that I didn't hit anything that would have only wounded him. I'm back out this evening since we finished up at work and hoping I can get another chance at 1. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Gooch likes this.
  2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Sounds like he'll be fine. Good luck!

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    Knott co
    Wow. I don't have enuff patience to bow hunt turkey. Hard enuff for me with a gun lol

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'd rather have a complete miss ,as a cripple and not get,way to hang in there

5. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    He'll be back. Anything gobbling this morning ?

6. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    I only heard a couple way off. He came in silent. I'm at a different farm this morning. Its cold and windy this morning so I'm not expecting to hear much. Good luck everyone

7. Bullet&bow

Bullet&bow Fawn

May 1, 2016
    Louisville
    I have only arrowed one tom, but it is rewarding. I had a group of about 10 pecking away in a soy field and was able to get their interest and bring them in to about 60 yards. Then their lookout got wind of something and called them back to the edge of the woods. Think it was that the rain had stopped. I might go out later in the morning to see if the rain forces them back out of the woods.

Jerod likes this.
  8. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    That's my game plan too bullet

9. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I've hit a couple with an arrow and wasn't able to recover them so I quit trying with my bow as I felt bad for wounding them. Taking one with a bow would be an absolute accomplishment in my book. Keep after him!!