Commission to vote on Resident License fees

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bird whisperer, May 25, 2017.

1. Mxcmxc

Mxcmxc Spike

Dec 3, 2016
    To answer your question correctly yes but I believe you could hunt your 10 acres with a resident license, but only if Kentucky had the same rule.

2. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    I believe Illinois has a non-resident property only tag, but you have to a minimum of 40 acres I believe. In Indiana, you post says farmland, does that mean it has to registered as a farm with the NRCS office and have a farm number? I think that is a point that some have brought up in the past as to what or who constitutes farm property. Might be clearer if they do like IL and just say 40 acres and leave the farm part out of it. Or some number of acreage to be decided on...........

Mxcmxc likes this.
  3. Mxcmxc

Mxcmxc Spike

Dec 3, 2016
    I agree

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    What relevance does a reciprocal agreement with Indiana have to do with Kentucky resident status? Regulations for Kentucky state that you must be a resident of the state to reap resident benefits. If you are not a resident...then you are considered a nonresident and treated as such. What's the hang up?

nock likes this.
  5. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    The hang up is property rights or lack of in KY.

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Hunting has virtually nothing to do with perceived "rights."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    davers likes this.
  7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    My Unenumerated Right to hunt on my property without a license has everything to do with hunting.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Such a right does not exist...enumerated or otherwise.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  9. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Hunting is a "Privilege" along with permission to hunt on land other than your own.

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    While we may disagree with it, the state heavily regulates hunting activities. The state gives us permission to hunt when we qualify and meet their standards. That which the government gives...it can also take away. Rights are endowed by our creator and there ain't a damn thing the gooberment can do about it (in theory).

11. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Well...sorta.

Kentucky voters amended the state constitution to incorporate hunting and fishing as a right, subject to regulation by federal and state authorities.

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I guess we have different qualifications that determine a "right" and I'll argue that while the constitution may have been amended, it largely amounts to semantics.

13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Something I find interesting about the whole non-resident license fee for out of state landowners debate is that it becomes an issue after the purchase.

It's not a deal breaker for those folks before the purchase by any means; they still purchase property in KY and live out of state.

They could've purchased property in Texas where the property rights might be more to their liking.

Carry on...

littlebear and EdLongshanks like this.
  14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Like it or hate it ,it is what it is ,if there was no regulation ,what would we have to hunt period.Control and license have got wildlife in Ky. the way it is now.when there was no wildlife population to amount to much ,other than some small game,there was no interest in Ky. , it didn't matter no one wanted to hunt here,well guess what ,it's well known the trophies are here.So let's change the rules ,now it's not fair .You can please some of the people some of the time,but not all the people all the time.The system's not broke ,it's worked really good for years .

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Correct. That's why unlimited crossbow is such a bad idea. Don't fix what ain't broken!

Feedman likes this.