Commission to vote on Resident License fees

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bird whisperer, May 25, 2017.

1. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Something I have learned (the hard way). If any idea, regardless of how good it is, does not come from the KDFWR, then it will not be considered.

2. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I have to chirp in here. I am a property and a home owner in Kentucky. I pay property taxes like all the rest of you but live in Indiana. I still have to pay non resident license fees to hunt my own property. I think it makes more sense to force the resident hunters hunting their own land to purchase licenses. That would be fair. I pay non resident fishing license fees and a trout stamp to fish in the Cumberland River and never keep a trout. I only get to hunt a few days of each season as well, so if you figure cost per day or whatever I am getting hosed. I pay 140.00 for 2 fishing licenses, 150 for spring and fall turkey and 120.00 for deer. $410.00 a year to hunt my own property and fish the river in front of my house from my own property. I have yet to harvest a deer or a turkey. But have had locals killing in my woods even though its posted. I shop at the local hardware, grocery, feed stores and restaurants. Paid a guy to plow and disk my field for food plots so local poachers can harvest MY deer. So before you go off on this whole non resident thing...think about my situation. I hunt small game in Indiana mostly Hunting Preserves for pen raised birds but don't fish here. In countries like Germany you need to be rich to hunt anywhere.

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    First off I'm not a NR hater nor would I ever be against some type of reciprocal agreement for NR landowners.

But I hear the same argument year after year concerning owning land, property taxes and contributing to the economy a few times a year.

To me it don't hold water in caparison to a resident that lives , works and raises their family 365 days a year in Kentucky. As beyond property taxes, there's taxes we pay on every freaking service imaginable. School taxes, jail taxes, road taxes, health department, library , vehicle taxes, registration, boat taxes / registration... not to mention state income taxes , city sticker and / or payroll taxes.

Then you have simply the local economy thing for shopping, eating out, buying fuel ... again 365 days a year compounded by your entire family.

Which I'm sure you could say the same for the home state you reside. Which is the reason we have residency in the first place. Again there's just no real comparison.

As far as the poaching thing I'm sorry to hear that aspect. But it's a related issue concerning the need for more CO's and funding ifrom residents & non resident sportsmen alike. Which I'd be hard pressed to complain about potential NR fee increases then expect the resource management to be a benefit without cost involved. In turn the poaching / trespass problems are not just isolated to NR property owners. Resident land owners face the same issues .

I also point out you stated "my" deer... which there is no such thing. As the fish & wildlife in Ky belong to all its residents of Ky. Which being no different than the fish & wildlife resources of your home state belong to all the residents of that particular state.

Again I'm not a NR hater by any means ... but it is what it is based on being a resident. As we all make the decision to live, work & raise our families where ever that may be.

4. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I was born and raised here but lived out of state for several years. I paid my NR fees; I didn't like the extra expense but I didn't complain. Like you said, I made the choice. Now I'm grateful to be back living in KY and I ain't leaving again.

rcurry and gdb like this.
  5. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    You like myself have obviously been blessed with the ability to buy your own land to hunt. I just chose to do it in my home state, if I had bought out of state I would have done it knowing the cost to use it was much greater. I'm by no means a non resident hater I hunt out of state several times a year myself but it's a lot greater rate than the residents pay. I consider myself lucky for the chance to do this. You referenced Germany and being rich to hunt there, well hate to step on your toes but that's exactly what Kentucky and the rest of the US is turning in to. What if you were the guy who dug ditches, picked up garbage etc. For a living and loved to hunt, chances are that guy couldn't afford his own farm because out of staters and guides are driving up the prices due to extremely cheap kdfwr permits and nice deer. Thanks for weighing in you help to prove my point.

gdb and bird whisperer like this.
  6. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    By the way, I do buy a sportsman liscense every year although I'm hunting my own farm I do that to help support the kdfwr. I agree that landowners should be charged also but with that being said bring nonresidents in line with other states at the same time.

bird whisperer likes this.
  7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Thank you for taking the bait on the "MY DEER" statement. And this is the point. It is my contention that is why resident landowners do not need a license in the first place because the wildlife have been viewed as belonging to the landowner. IF the wildlife is a resource that belongs to the state, they should have to buy a license the same as you and I. Second...most of the taxes you mentioned are allocated from the Property taxes I pay. Granted I do not pay payroll taxes at this time. All those other taxes which you so aptly pointed out are for services that YOU use NOT ME!! I don't go to the Library ( YOU should pay for that ). If I used your schools I would pay that tax as well ( I don't ), if I could register my boat and vehicles in KY I would. I do not fish or use my trailer in Indiana. This is going to be our retirement home and we will be paying additional taxes. And as far the Germany point... you missed the point. The point I was making is exactly that it is what the United States are turning into and having me pay NR fees to hunt my own property is BIG step in that direction. Which is why I don't think I should have to pay Nonres fees to hunt my own property. As far as contributing to the local economy a couple of times a year...we come down almost every weekend. I support the locals and local economy in every way I can. In fact I go out of my way to do business with local farmers. I give them my hay for free and ask nothing in return. So don't cry me a river. I am not the problem. BTW I am the guy that digs ditches and its hard for me to afford hunting my own property. That is my point.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I'm a Kentucky resident and landowner. I pay all the taxes that have been mentioned. I also use very few of the government services listed. What's your point? I pay for the services that I do not use...but I pay for them. You do not. You are not a RESIDENT and should not be treated as such. Obviously being a land owner should come with some sort of additional benefit, but you also do not deserve resident status....because you are not a resident. Your financial contribution to the state of Kentucky doesn't remotely compare to mine regardless of whether you own property here. Just the same as my contribution to your home state is virtually nothing compared to yours. Pretty obvious right?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    nock and bdl605 like this.
  9. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    "Obviously being a land owner should come with some sort of additional benefit". THATS MY POINT!!!
    I hunt in South Dakota and Kansas I expect to pay NR fees. I just think I should get some kind of break in KY on my own property. I think that is obvious.

10. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Look up resident and non resident in the dictionary. Pretty obvious.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    If you research KDF&WR's you will find data eluding to 95%+ of all hunting is done on private land in Ky.

This is an important point to consider concerning resident landowners. Without them there would not be hunting as we know it in Ky. In turn when you consider farm land / crop production the repercussions such as crop damage and percentage of income lost can be surmountable. Then there's the case for habitat, forestry management and everything involved in sustaining these wildlife resources.

As such the resident landowners are a valuable asset to KDF&WR's and understandable why the license exemption exist.

Which is why I said I'm not against some type of reciprocal for NR landowners. But at this time it doesn't exist. However the exemption itself for resident landowners does not need to go away as a benefit. As in my opinion it would have a devastating effect on available hunting lands and opportunities for residents & nonresidents alike. Being we do not to need to close doors period.

That said... I'm a resident landowner (300 acres) who has always bought license & tags regardless.

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Just to add... I don't think your grasping this at all.

As a resident you don't just pay this on property taxes once a year.. you pay additional taxes on these services with every monthly phone bill, electric, gas .. annual vehicle tax, boat tax .. etc. Which again this is a 365 day a year thing for its residence ... and I say the majority such as schools, libraries, health departments and fire services are things a percentage never use.

But that's life & taxes in general in Ky. I'm sure you do as well in your home state and can't help but wonder the reaction if we reversed this discussion.

Which heck, I've had my daughter in law school in Illinois the last 3 years with her living there. You want an unfriendly state for NR hunters concerning fees.... just look there.

In turn you might take a gander at Iowa ... NR landowners aren't even guaranteed a tag to hunt deer on their land period.

Just a whole lot of states that have high fees, lotteries and the like to hunt them in comparison to Ky.

Honestly we're (Ky) are too overly friendly being a top 5 B&C state. The NR land buying, leasing properties has been a pretty serious issue around my place for years. Most from Georgia or Florida. It's impacted resident hunters no doubt and this is seemingly spreading across the state due to notoriety from media and such.

It's not anything that's going to get better.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  13. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    I understand about hard work and the cost of land ownership, precisely why I stayed in my own state! We welcome you if you want to move down here and hunt your land for free. Until then you should be charged accordingly for using KY as your play ground! When I go to Gatlinburg for the weekend I pay rediculous rental prices. I have the option to pack up and move down there but I don't want to so guess what I do. I shut up pay the bill and roll on! So you got 3 options as I see it 1. Buy a farm in your own state, 2. Move to your farm in KY, 3. Deal with it as a cost of doing business.

Dark Cloud and EdLongshanks like this.
  14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I'm sorry but the last 2 comments pretty much take basic logic and nail this issue firmly to the wall. Thank you gentlemen.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've fed and raised enough deer for the state of Kentucky. I've not bought a license in over a decade and won't buy one to hunt or fish my land.

Dark Cloud and Lady Hunter like this.