Commission to vote on Resident License fees

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bird whisperer, May 25, 2017.

1. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Thanks Barney. I pay electric, water, internet & insurance EVERY month. I spent 800.00 on plowing and seed for my plots. I don't give a crap about it being a B&C state. I like to eat wild meat. I am not saying my license should be free but I do think I pay more than enough already. Just saying I think there should be a differentiation between NR and NR landowners.

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    What should be the criteria to determine the difference between a non resident an a non resident landowner. Do you just have to own a house, a lot or 5 acres or a 100 acre farm. It could get very difficult an complicated trying to make a separate license for non resident landowner.

gdb likes this.
  3. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Not really. Illinois has a property only license. I believe if you own 40 or more acres, you can purchase a tag to hunt your property only. I think that is a better option then charging someone who owns property in KY a higher NR fee. The amount of acreage would be up to debate but think 40 or more is a good number.

4. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    NOT HIGH ENOUGH. Yall complaining about lack of law enforcement, catching trespassers, no access, public land sucks, MUH BOAT RAMP! bla, bla, bla. Well cough up $18 you damn cheap skates. There isn't a hunting license sold in Kentucky that costs what you paid for the cell phone in your pocket. GOOD WORK COMMISH.

-side note, I do agree that out of state licenses should cost $2000

5. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    One thing I would like to point out, this kind of change isn't made on a whim. They spend a lot of time and effort to calculate what they need now and in the future. what other states do/charge. and what the public deems relative/important to them. but you guys go ahead with "GRANDADDY CAINT HUNT NO MORE CAUSE THA $8"

6. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    So when you go on a fixed income like your Grandaddy is on...let us know how that works out for you.

rcurry and mudhole crossing like this.
  7. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    I don't think anyone cares about the resident cost going up it's the fact nonresidents aren't being charged what they should be! That's everybodys gripe I've talked to.

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Might ask "granddaddy" to help you with your math... as a senior license is $5 now and the proposed increase is $18.

Last time I checked ... that's $13 bucks ..... not $8.

Also ...with all that ciphering and calculating KDF&WR's did on these increases .... care to share how they come up with only a $3 increase in resident fishing but a $7 increase in resident hunting?? Is one resource more valuable or requires less commitment to enforce?? I'm personally having a hard time buying into the thought process here. Why not increase both the same??

In turn how do they figure an "across the board" increase on resident license but only pick 5 license to increase?? Which to me I really don't see nothing "across the board" about it. Monetarily the numbers differ and there's many resident license fees untouched.

Which again .. I understand needs to increase and matching funds available. The money associated with the proposals is not of real concern to me personally. But the randomness of the proposals in principle has no rhyme or reason.

Why not modestly increase all resident & NR license if this is an issue of funding or shoring up?? What about tags & permits as well??

If the plan is to piece-mill increases every time we turn around this is going to get pretty sad.

katlynn likes this.
  9. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    This is the reply I finally received from Jimmy Bevins 6th district commissoner

Attached Files:

10. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    A canned response at best and only got it when I went over his head. No rhyme or reason. But what do you do the commission has done whatever they've wanted for years without anything slowing them down!

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    They need to tighten up their belt where they can,and manage better than what most state agencies do.Theres always wasted money that can be found ,if they look hard enough.They just need to find some of it and use it,instead of looking for the easiest way to get it,and that's putting it on the people's back.Seems that's the way politictions has always done things,and there's plenty enough politics in kdfw just like any other agency.

12. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Guys I don't like it any better than the rest, but all this is going to fall on deaf ears. As posted previously, as learned the hard way, if the idea does not come from the dept, regardless of how valid it is, you are pounding sand.

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I don't mind some increases but I worked for the state. There are areas of waste that could be trimmed. Cutting out take home vehicles alone would help. Of course some positions need a take home vehicle but I know there are some that don't. Just a for instance

rcurry and Dark Cloud like this.
  14. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    It was part of the sarcasm JD. Our hunting license vs the average is way out of whack. Do you want to be in a magazine as the "cheapest place to kill a trophy"? I don't. Anyone remember the last time we had an increase?? I'll take more wardens, more access, more stockings, more awareness.
    Also this isn't the state. Don't get the two confused. Very seperate for very good reasons. The state would love to get its hands on the KDFW budget to help pay for the new bridge or pension fund.

I'll start a gofund me page for all the impoverished hunters who can't swing it. Should we toss in for the $26 box of .270 ammo also? Seems pretty unattainable.

Blackdog85 likes this.
  15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Oh.... I understand KDF&WR's is not a "state funded" agency....as I'm considered a state employee myself.

Which I began deer hunting when there were no deer.... nor turkey to hunt in my area except for LBL. I've seen several increases to license & permit fees in my lifetime. In turn ...I've seen a remarkable job in providing us resources & opportunity.

But the proverbial nutshell here is KDF&WR's exist and is majority funded by the resident sportsmen of this state. The monetary increase in itself is not the issue as your implying..... and boils down to principle and across the board fairness in how those increases are levied.

gdb, KYBOY, bdl605 and 1 other person like this.