Commission to vote on Resident License fees

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bird whisperer, May 25, 2017.

1. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    Anyone who thinks this is about the money has missed the point completely and at this point of the game is likely to never understand it.

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Might be wrong but did I not see the extra money is going towards conservation camps not for anything else.

3. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    You saw wrong.

4. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    What the hell are you even talking about? There's a financial shortfall.....I KNOW, THE COMMISH HATES OLD PEOPLE!!!

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I think I read somewhere posted in the two threads on this subject ... that was the justification for the senior license increase specifically was earmarked for the camps. Just haven't seen where the other resident license increases were directed the same.

Which according to bdl605's post concerning the 6th district commisoners response , it was stated the camps operated into a 2 million deficit last year.

However what isn't mentioned is what created the over budget situation last year. Which unless unreported I've not heard of previous years budget issues with the camps. Being a 2 million over run seems pretty significant to me to occur suddenly in one year.

Also if I remember correctly from discussions years ago ..KDF&WR's had stashed some decent reserves. Which as with most entities like KDF&WR a lot of extra monies are created year to year from position vacancies and such. In turn ...in the letter from the LKS its stated that license sales had increased not decreased as reported.

Guess what I'm getting at... I've always been extremely supportive of KDF&WR's and kids programs in general. But some transparency is needed here to better explain what created the deficit. Which it's an easy fix to budgets by shifting the burden to create more revenue. But that doesn't mean you fixed the problem.

rcurry, gdb, bdl605 and 2 others like this.
  6. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I finally got a response from Commissioner Blevins. Though he did seem to actually read my email, it doesn't seem that he gave it much credence. I wrote back and expressed my concern that KDFWR already has a PR problem (elk lottery) and raising rates so dramatically on seniors and disabled is just going to create more PR problems.

They ignored complaints about the elk lottery until the KY legislators threatened to get involved. If they keep ignoring the sportsmen and women of the state they are going to end up losing the department (and budget) to the politicians.

I'm not opposed to rate increases but it seems a small increase across the board (including NR) would be a more practical and acceptable way to do it.

nock, bdl605, davers and 1 other person like this.
  7. bdl605

bdl605 Fawn

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    Unless I am completely misunderstanding your post you continually keep making remarks about impoverished hunters, go fund me accounts etc! What I am trying to convey to you is I along with most people I have spoke to I have no problem with fees going up. I don't care if they raise them to the proposed rates or beyond even, what I do care about is equality!!! I for one am sick and tired of non residents coming in here and hunting for a mere fraction of what it would cost us to go hunt in their state. Do you understand what Im saying? I cant speak for everyone but those I do are all in agreement we will gladly pay more but we don't want to fund the department and all the programs so someone from another state can come hunt Booners without having to pay their fair share. I agree with you I don't want us on the cover of field and stream as the cheapest hunt in the nation, but hey that's where its at and will continue to be if the guides keep the commissioners ears and non resident fees are not increased equally with ours. If I have mistaken your stance I apologize for that but you read as if we are all mad about our fees going up and I am not I just want it to be equal across the board, don't leave non resident rates where they are they should be raised also.

katlynn likes this.
  8. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Pretty sure the letter posted from the commish states NR will be dealt with next year.

They way it looks to me, to hunt Deer and Turkey as a NR is approximatley
    Missouri - 225
    Tennessee - 305
    Ohio - 321
    Indiana - 470
    KY - 410

9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Just kick up a license for 10k a year. That way they won't need money (for awhile). If you can't afford it, then set up a "go-fund-me" account.

10. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Yes $10,000 sounds about right! Someone mentioned $2,000 also. I guess then you would need to increase the fine for hunting without a license to at least double that amount. That would definitely keep us NR A-holes away from all your B&C deer. I am going to start my Go-Fund-Me account right now.

11. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    What about Illinois Wisconsin Iowa Texas? Doubt many are beating down doors to hunt deer in WV.

12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Sounds like a plan.

13. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers Spike

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Hey Nock
    Just checked out KY neighbors. Illinois is crazy expensive and WI is very cheap. Don't know about Texas but I would guess its affordable.

14. TLRanger

TLRanger Spike

Jun 3, 2007
    Nashville, TN

Was not going to put my two cents in this but could not hold back:
    I am a TN resident and on a lease in KY (17 years) in Nelson Co. It is 175 miles from my house to
    the farm in KY. I don't hunt there because of all the "Booners" but because I like hunting with my
    friends that live there.

TN non resident License cost $140 plus $140 for deer tag plus $75 for a turkey tag. Total $335.00
    One antlered and one antlerless deer. Two bearded turkeys.

KY Non Resident License to hunt TN is $305.00.
    Two antlered deer. Four bearded turkeys.

Which is the best bargain??

If KY keeps going up on the Non Resident License, Some of you will get your wish and I will
    quit hunting in KY because I have more places to hunt in TN than I can cover. I own a 200 acre
    farm and have permission to hunt on a 600 acre farm that joins me and another 500 acre farm
    the next county over.

If you keep trying to put the financial burden on the NR hunters, they will have to go up on
    the resident hunters to make up for the loss of revenue from people like me that will quit
    buying a license.

Just my opinion.

ddwhitetails and BowHunter20 like this.