Cool find

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by nock, Feb 26, 2017.

1. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    IMG_0719.JPG
    Haven't seen one of these in a while. I was going to shut the windows in out shooting house today. Found this little guy inside. So I left them open for now.

2. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Cool creature! Saw one in my barn a few years ago.

3. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    I remember a bow hunt in Robertson County when I was still in high school some 30 years ago. As it got dark, I could hear the leaves crunching down the deer trail where I placed my climber. With heightened senses and everything absolutely quiet as it approached last light, one of those little rascals flew out of a nearby tree and landed on the tree I was in a mere foot from head. Don't remember whether I screamed like a girl first, then wet my pants, or if I wet my pants, then screamed like a girl. Either way, my hunt was over.

elkaholic and Gooch like this.
  4. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    they will scare the crap out of u

5. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Cool aint seen one in years. Use to be a woman that had one for a pet in a bird cage when I was a kid. It was the meanest little sob you ever saw.

6. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I had one get stuck in a pvc feeder last year, I just picked up the feeder and let it go as it wished,
    I wasn't about to let that miniature demon get latched onto my hand, cute lil fellars though but I ain't tryin to hold one though

7. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Very cool. I have been in the woods my whole life and never seen one in the wild.

8. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Our deer camp cabin had an infestation of flying squirrels for several years and we didn't even know it until two years ago. They didn't come out until everybody was asleep and they come back in right before daylight. We would hear them leaving and returning, but we couldn't tell if they were inside or outside. They were so noisy, they woke us up and made deer and turkey season rougher due to lack of sleep. Finally there were so many of them inside, we discovered where they were entering and where they were nesting in the ceiling. I have to say they were slick little boogers. Unfortunately we had no choice but to eliminate them or turn the whole thing over to them and give up. It started to smell bad and got real unhealthy inside. We even had large owls hanging around waiting for them every evening. After several long nights, I waited them out and did the deed, but it wasn't fun. I tried to figure out a different way, but they would have just chewed their way back in if we simply blocked the hole. I tried traps, but they were too smart. The cabin is noticeably cleaner and smells much better now. There are more of them around than most people realize, because they are so hard to see and they are nocturnal.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    My dad, growing up and hunting in Hardin county back in the 30s and 40s, used to tell me about seeing flying squirrels all the time. I've never actually seen one in the wild.

10. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    They're cool little critters. I've seen a few or maybe the same one multiple times? Regardless, I think the live in a hole in a red oak I have a stand in. I've only seen them right before daylight. Thought it was a bird till it landed and scurried up the tree.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I saw one fly out of a tree on trail cam taking night video this year. At first I was like, "What the...?" Hadn't seen one in a while. Saw them all the time at night where I grew up.

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Sound like me, I've never seen a rattlesnake (not that I really want to), bobcat or bear while in the woods. Saw a bobcat twice while driving down the road and a bear once in TN.

13. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I have seen several bob cats. But i have never seen a rattle snake in the woods either. Hope i never do. An we dont have bears around here in my neck of the woods. A bear is one animal i have never had any desire to hunt. There cool though.

14. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I've never come across a rattler neither.

15. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    You boys that ain't seen a rattler can come to my place and it won't take long to find one of you go looking. Seems like they're everywhere. Killed a 50 incher with 15 rattles and a button last year......in the driveway. Killed another one that was about 8 ft up in a tree. Seen it bush hogging. It was on a limb that about smacked me in the face