Cougars extinct

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by slickhead slayer, Jan 25, 2018.

1. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    I am waiting for evidence as well, and enjoy collecting the stories in the meantime!

2. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    You forgot the West Virginia Hammercat, you have to include that if your gonna put bigfoot and chupacabras in there. Just saying!

forager likes this.
  3. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Please inform me of said hammercat. It sounds like an amazing local beast!

4. hondo1892

hondo1892 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2014
    North of Lake Cumberland
    According to PBS the Florida painter is different from the western mountain lion. I can't say myself but you know PBS would never lie to the public.:D

5. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Yes, the genetics between the Florida panther and western mountain lion populations are different. However, they are not so different that the populations cannot breed with one another. The introduction of animals from Texas to the Florida population has helped curb inbreeding and lessen the amount of recessive harmful traits that are expressed. Now, habitat is the big issue when it comes to assisting the recovery of these animals.

6. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    The elusive West Virginia Hammercat has a strong population in W.Va, E Ky, W.Md and Western Virginia. Rumors but no confirmed sightings have been confirmed in the Boone area of N.C. and N Ga. The cat sized between the bobcat and puma is thought to be a cross of the two species but DNA tests of the two recovered harvests disappeared from the natural resources records division without a trace. I have only seen 2, both in W.Md
    one on the way home from the VFW when turkey hunting, ran right in front of the truck across the road @2am.
    The other rushed us calling in a gobbler one morning, scared the bejeezus out of us!

7. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Interesting. A friend told me that he found cougar tracks near Banner Elk, not far from Boone.

I have never heard of bobcat/cougar hybrids. Is there any evidence to support this?

8. Wolfgangatom

Wolfgangatom Fawn

Dec 7, 2016
    Fayette county
    Biologist here. It's important to note that these are all the same species, Puma concolor. In the last 200+ years taxonomists have given subspecies names to different populations but they can all interbreed. More recent classifications don't even distinguish between any of the North American populations.

No they cannot hybridize with bobcats.

forager and bondhu like this.
  9. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Hillbilly here:)
    Thanks did not know that taxidermist's were in charge of naming subspecies:D
    And by the above statement you have stoked the fire of all the cousin's sister's husband's that have seen Hybridized Bobcats:D:D:p:p

EdLongshanks and beauhunter41031 like this.
  10. Wolfgangatom

Wolfgangatom Fawn

Dec 7, 2016
    Fayette county
    Just because they can't make babies doesn't necessarily mean they won't try:

:eek:

EdLongshanks and bondhu like this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    "The first question is whether a puma/bobcat cross is possible and the answer is probably: yes."
    http://pictures-of-cats.org/Pumabobcat-Hybrid-Florida.html

Feedman and bondhu like this.
  12. Wolfgangatom

Wolfgangatom Fawn

Dec 7, 2016
    Fayette county
    While I wouldn't want to discredit "pictures-of-cats.org"'s findings; that is just a bobcat. Bobcats (Lynx rufus) do hybridize with Canada lynx (Lynx canadensis) in some areas but they are closely related. The genus Lynx and Puma last shared a common ancestor around 7 million years ago (for comparison we diverged from chimps between 4 and 13 million years ago) .

katlynn likes this.
  13. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    uh oh, we are moving into evolution. Pop corn time:D

14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Now we are getting some where.

EdLongshanks and bondhu like this.
  15. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    So with the Florida panther situation, the government is spending millions of dollars to preserve a population that is not extremely different than other western populations. More money for them programs!