cover scent

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Buck_rogers, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Buck_rogers

Buck_rogers Fawn

Nov 28, 2016
    First year really hitting the woods, just wondering what everyone does for cover scent when deer hunting. And if you changed methods along the way have you noticed an increase in deer sightings.

2. Thumper23

Thumper23 Spike

Jul 28, 2014
    Graves County
    You will get a hundred different answers, but the most important thing is to hunt the wind. I keep my hunting clothes outside so they do not pick up odor from the house, shower before I go, and hunt the wind.

3. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I keep my hunting clothes on plastic tote with earth scent wafer's if I hunt where there's pines I use the pine scent wafer's. I also have use vanilla for cover scent but wouldn't recommend if you hunt an area with bears.

4. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I have done almost everything i can think of or that marketing companies can convince me that i need to buy. But the biggest thing is still the wind. I have been busted downwind no matter what i try. Then I have had one smell where i took a pee out of the stand (dont normally do that) and flat out didnt care. But they catch wind of me and best case scenario they are strung tight.

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    WIND WIND and WIND. I use what I have used for over 40 years. My own home made Cedar scent.

6. Buck_rogers

Buck_rogers Fawn

Nov 28, 2016
    I knew wind would be biggest problem, unfortunately my best spot that I've been able to catch regular activity on cam is on a mountain side that's kinda horseshoe shaped. It's got a small flat proach that has some natural cover and a stream. Biggest issue is that everytime I'm up there whether it's to check cams/activity or hunt the wind swirls, it literally comes in from nearly every direction at some point.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Plenty out there. We spray down good with scentaway but I also like to spray buck and doe attractant. Even if they don't come running it may take the focus off your scent.

8. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    A guy I used to hunt with would break him off some small cedar branches and rub them all over his clothes,but nothing is full proof except the right wind !