Coyote killed dog

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Kendall, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Kendall

Kendall Spike

Jan 17, 2019
    Hart County
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    Yea those coyotes been known to get a few dogs and cats.

3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    they are also hell on outside cats, when I lived in Roswell GA a pack cleaned out several surrounding neighborhoods..

4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Had a pack try to get thru our fence after our 125 lb White German Shepherd and 95 lb wolf/shepherd one afternoon many years ago. Those 2 were a force to be reckoned with but it still scared the heck out of me. We went running for our guns but as soon as they saw us round the corner of the house, they were GONE. They killed one neighbor's dog that same night and attacked another. (And the other neighbor tried to blame it on our dogs even though they were inside with us all night. Grrrr!!!! Told him to go to h*** or go to court - pick one! - because we weren't paying a penny of his vet bills!)

hatsan125sniper, Feedman and ojibwa62 like this.
  5. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    Iv seen a couple of coon hounds come running back to the truck all bloodied up from coyotes.

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s crazy. How many coyotes are we talking about here? I would think that coyotes would want a much easier target. I’d say your dogs would wear them out.

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    You people have me thinking. Our old buddy lab is 10 and has 2 scarred over acls. He’s not nearly as spry as he once was. He gets along fine but does kinda have a hitch in his gitty up. I wonder if a coyote would see him as a meal in his gimpy state. He’s 70-75 lbs. Our yard is lined with thick timber that I’m very sure coyotes frequent. Thoughts? Should I watch the old man at night?

Carl likes this.
  8. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I have a 12 year old 9.1 lb yorkie.....neighbors are nuts over the coyotes prowling the neighborhood. I let him roam like he always did......smart ?? not sure, but he rules the roost !!

EdLongshanks likes this.
  9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    There were 5 of them. And they were bound and determined to get to our dogs. It was nuts... As big as our 2 were, we'd never worried about coys until then.

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s crazy to me. Good to know.

11. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    We don't let our older/smaller dogs go out alone at night. Even with the fenced yard. We always make our younger German Shepherd (who was feral for several months before animal control caught him & we adopted him - he's a real bada**) go out with them just in case - even if they're just going out for a potty break. Better safe than sorry.

12. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Coyotes will chase and/or kill dogs. Some hunters use dogs to bring in coyotes when hunting. It's pretty cool to see! Even after a shot, the coyotes are fixed on the dog. It allows them to kill multiples a lot of times.

That said, a friend of mine and a worker of his both have Australian Shepherds. I'd say one is 35 lbs. The other 25 or so is my best guess. While at our farm, a couple coyotes popped out of the woods. They were trying to coax these dogs to come into the woods and would keep running away and coming back. This was all while these two guys were 50 yards away working! I don't think they had a gun on them at the time unfortunately.

Kendall likes this.
  13. Kendall

Kendall Spike

Jan 17, 2019
    Hart County
    I would love to see that happen.

Rut-n-Strut likes this.
  14. I have a great idea ,why don't we all call the Ky fish and game and ask them to allow night hunting with a air gun ?

When you attach night vision to the gun you are able to take out 5 or 6 coyotes as fast as you can reload . They don't hear the shots of a gun fire so they don't run off thanks to the shrouded barrels and built in silencers.

A lot of so called hunters think a pellet gun is more dangerous than a shotgun using a #1 buck shot that fires 15 30 caliber pellets at one time with a mv of 1350 feet per second ( fps) and has 163.87 foot lb energy(fpe) That same 30 pellets are still traveling 912 fps and has 74 fpe at 50 yards . At 100 yards the 15 , 30 ca pellets are still traveling 737 fps with 48.95 fpe which is enough to kill a person stone cold dead .

But for some reason so called hunters think that the #1 buck shot that's firing 15 30 cal pellets at one time is safer fires at night than a single 30 cal pellet from a air gun using night vision through a scope with crosshairs to hit the coyote . This is how stupid the Ky hunters have become .They would rather be in the woods with a shotgun firing 15 30 cal flying though the wood from a shotgun over 1, 30 cal pellet being shot from a rifled air gun with a night vision scope ,how stupid is that ?

Now lets compare the air guns 30 cal pellet to the #1 buck shot which is 30 cal also . The mv of of a 30 cal airgun is 524 fps with 24 fpe , at 50 yards its 431 fps with 16 fpe and at 100 yards its 353 fps and 11 fpe so if you compare the 2 you can see that the shotgun shell #1 buck shot has enough fpe kill a person at the barrel ,at 50 yards and at 100 yards . while the 30 cal pellet from the airgun as no where near the fpe of the #1 buck shot . so unless you are walking around in the woods naked the pellet from the airgun is not going to even go through your clothes at 50 and 100 yards while the #1 buck shot will kill you stone cold dead at 50 and 100 yards .

So If you want to get control of the coyote population call and tell the people at the KY fish and wild life you want night hunting with a airgun . Its as simple as that . If enough people call them or email them they will add the airgun to be used at night for coyotes . I have just proved to you that a air gun is safer in the woods compared to a shotgun shell which is allowed to be used at night but the airgun pellet is not allowed to be used even though its safer for everyone . Lady Hunter if you want to get rid of coyotes call or email and ask them to allow airgun hunting at night for coyotes .

15. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    But, we (KY hunters, so called hunters) are all too damn stupid to call F&W, right?
    Your tactics for getting folks on your side need some work

FOWLER2671, 120+ and hatsan125sniper like this.