Crossbow expansion, much more than just that

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jeepndeer, Mar 12, 2018.

1. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    From kind of watching some of the states that have expanded their crossbow season, I think you're right-some bucks will get killed earlier in the season instead of later. Overall, it seems like vertical bow and gun harvests seem to trend downward, while crossbow numbers come up, at least that's the impression I get.
    I don't know if any more does will get killed, but I admit that was my main concern years ago, when this was first being "discussed".

2. deershank

deershank Fawn

Sep 28, 2016
    I think this is called cryptorchidism.

3. deershank

deershank Fawn

Sep 28, 2016
    i just spoke with their deer biologist, Sams I think. He said that if the crossbow expansion/sept. 1 opener passes it would go into effect until 2019. but all the other changes would go into effect this year.

deadaim likes this.
  4. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Well aint that a crock of bull.

5. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
  6. hoene

hoene Spike

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Kentucky Crossbow federation introduced expanding the crossbow season and fish and wildlife was for it. There are some organizations that are against it and they (F&W) are trying to make them happy.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve said probably a half dozen time and I’ll say it again, I’ll be shocked if there are any significant changes.

8. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Not big on the September gun doe hunt, safety, spoilage, poaching, ect, leave the shit alone and quit jacking with it

littlebear likes this.
  9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I, too, think that’s an odd change. I say leave it alone. Of course, my favorite weapon is my xbow and I’m fine with it the way it is now. The only thing I’ve ever really had a gripe about is Xbow going out those 3 weeks between early ML and modern gun. Doesn’t make sense. Is it to give the woods back to traditional bow hunters for just a few more weeks? Or is it because they feel like Xbow will make it easier to take a rut/prerut buck before a gun hunter gets a chance? My daughter went to preschool with a kid whose dad was a CO and I asked him about it one time. His reply was, “You know what, I really don’t know what the real reason is behind that decision.”

10. hoene

hoene Spike

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Some bow hunting organizations just don't like the crossbow and keep fighting to keep it out of the complete bow deer season.

deadaim likes this.
  11. jeepndeer

jeepndeer 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2006
    A completely brand new organization that at the time this first became public had 28 members. Not sure how they would rate representing the state with those numbers. Obviously has grown since this became public.

12. jeepndeer

jeepndeer 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2006
    There has been very little proper procedure to date (IMO). From what I’ve heard some are still pushing for this to be added.

13. hoene

hoene Spike

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    One of the organizations that is against the crossbow doesn't know where there president is and has very few members. Pope and Young has also been against the crossbow at the Kentucky meetings. The state F&W had public meetings about the crossbow expansion.

14. hunter40502

hunter40502 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2014
    Bracken County
    It makes a lot of sense to me to make the change since we have too many deer in many counties. Its a commonsense move, and a result of good research.

15. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Anyone that wants to kill female deer are already doing so, it’s not going to change nothing

littlebear and shaman like this.