crossbow hunting all season for deer..."fairness for the disabled"

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by loveofthehunt1, May 18, 2017.

1. just my opinion..i believe kentucky should allow the disabled (like me) (have medical records to prove it) (and the elderly) who are not able to use a regular compound bow to use a crossbow all deer season due to our disabilities...not doing so would hinder our chances of getting in the woods and enjoying archery..now this might rub some of you the wrong way and i do apologize but i think the dept of fish and game should allow it as long as you have medical records to back up your claim..i really hope they pass a law like this..when i lived in kentucky i was exempt from using a regular bow and i strictly hunted with a crossbow because as i said before i was "exempt" and had a disabled permit..now if they dont pass that law this year i guess i will have to suffer and take a chance on tearing my shoulder or screwing up more discs in my back by having to draw a regular compound bow..i dislocated my left shoulder and then 3 months later had a car wreck (hit 2 two deer) and fractured that same shoulder. and also i suffer from a disease that degenerates the discs in my back(thus the reason i am on disability)
    so i think it would be a fair law..but you will have "those" guys crying "thats not fair"..well for those guys, who can work, who have a good job, make good money and own thier own house, at least they can walk, at least they don"t have to wake up every morning with thier legs and feet feeling like they have been set on fire and at least they dont lose feeling in thier lower extremities and pray to god that he dont let them wake up one morning numb from the waist down with "NO" feeling and have to wonder if this is the last time they will ever be able to take another step in the great outdoors without the aid of a wheelchair...think on what i have just said...it really is food for thought!

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Ky already has this law for resident disable and elderly,just curious are you wanting it for non residents also.

Docwaters likes this.
  3. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    No need for a new law. Here is the link to print off the crossbow exemption form. Fill it out have you Physician complete there part and carry it with you while in the field hunting. Hope this helps.

http://fw.ky.gov/Licenses/Documents/crossbowexemption.pdf

4. kc4sox

kc4sox Fawn

Nov 16, 2014
    If anything crossbows should be considered legal archery equipment and NOT require any kind of "Special permit' I just moved here from Tennessee where crossbows are no different than a compound bow.

5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I think a cool law would be: Tho shalt read the rules before complaining about the rules.

6. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Glad you got put back on track luvofthehunt1, no worries we all have to reread those Kentucky regulations a dozen times, even then ya gotta put together pieces from other chapters to get the whole picture. I am not surprised because it does read no crossbows except for special xbow season. Gotta find the exempt thing in another spot.

7. i am not a kentucky resident im a resident of virginia

8. agree 1 million percent... wish virginia felt that way

9. ky dept of fish and game told me that i can not get a exemption form for a crossbow unless im a resident of kentucky which i am not...so muddhunter...not to sound like a smart-ass but i know the rules, and i know the exemption form does NOT cover non-kentucky residents..thats what a game warden in frankfort told me today

10. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I feel that you may have been misinformed. The exemption form read Crossbow not KY resident only Crossbow form. Print it off have it filled out and hunt KY with your crossbow. I doubt a C.O. Is going to screw with anyone who has an apparent disability and has the form completed. If so anyone could challenge the ticket and win.

richief likes this.
  11. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Yep, hunting regulations are the same for everyone in KY, including nonresident. Fees are different but the law is uniform. Permit link is below.

http://fw.ky.gov/Licenses/Pages/Hunting-Method-Exemptions.aspx
    "Hunting Method Exemptions
    The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources may grant any reasonable exemption to normal hunting methods that would allow a person with physical disabilities to hunt when they otherwise couldn’t. Exemptions that may be granted include using a crossbow to hunt deer during the bow-only deer season and using a vehicle as a hunting platform. The Vehicle Permit allows a person to hunt from a vehicle on private property.
    Persons with qualifying physical disabilities must first have an exemption form completed and signed by a licensed physician certifying why the exemption is necessary and how long it will last. Persons who obtain a hunting method exemption are still required to have the appropriate hunting license or permits. Persons granted a hunting method exemption must also carry the signed exemption along with their hunting license and permits while in the field. (301 KAR 3:026, 3:027)"

http://fw.ky.gov/Licenses/Documents/crossbowexemption.pdf

Docwaters likes this.
  12. jrfrmn10

jrfrmn10 Fawn

Aug 11, 2011
    Why not?

13. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    The exemption is for everyone that needs one, to archery hunt Kentucky.
    The link is above, download it, fill it out, have your doctor sign it, and carry it with you while crossbow hunting.

14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just curious as what your question was,I personally believe the crossbow should be considered the same class as a compound .Either way I'm for people hunting,by any means possible.

Docwaters likes this.