Cumberland tailwater kayak fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by jarrodcombs, Aug 9, 2017.

1. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    Do any of you guys or girls fish below the dam on kayaks. I fish the main lake and would love to start fishing the tailwater some. Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

2. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np Fawn

Nov 24, 2016
    South central Kentucky
    I haven't but would be interested in hearing responses as well. I kayak fish the main lake and the creeks, mainly buck creek and fishing creek.

3. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    You want low water flows (like 0 discharge) and weekends are about the only low water opportunity; you definitely don't want to be in a kayak on the 22,000 cfs they the Corps has been running in afternoons for last month. The river at that 22,000 level is perhaps 12 feet higher than it would be at minimum flows.

4. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    On low flow is the water still fairly swift or does it slow way down. I've never been on it but studying up for a possible trip next Saturday. Thinking about leaving a truck at mile 11 ramp and driving up to dam to put in. Hoping to make that 11 miles in a day trip. Is that doable?

5. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    slows way down, but get fast in a hurry when generation starts. 11 miles-yes, long paddle though. dam to helms landing at minimum flow would offer a lot of fishing on shorter trip

6. Redfeather

Redfeather 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2006
    Rose Hill,Ky
    Do yourself a favor & check out ROCKHOUSE if you go...