dealing with henned up birds

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by kycoalminer40, Apr 21, 2017.

1. kycoalminer40

kycoalminer40 Fawn

Apr 20, 2017
    harlan, ky
    I know this has been brought up here alot, but i need some advice. been hunting all week long while on vacation . killed a two year old monday morning , he came right off the roost and at 7:00am , I was heading home . since then every bird i try to work is so henned up and they go so deep down in the hollows you cannot get to them. I bet i have walked ten miles or more this week . how do you guys deal with this problem. my fourteen year old boy is so discouraged right now. he wants to harvest one so bad.

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    Knott co
    Are u hunting the same turkey every day?

3. nontypical2002

nontypical2002 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2006
    Don't over call....if the hen(s) he's courting don't want the competition they will go the other way taking him away with them. Perhaps if you know the direction they're headed circle around them a couple hundred yards and let them feed to you....do some purrs and soft calls while waiting and see what happens. Good luck

bondhu likes this.
  4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Hunt fly down at day break. If he hens up on you, leave, go have a bite to eat or try to find another bird. Come back around 11 or so that afternoon and try to get him fired up once his hens kind of wonder off to do their own thing.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Roost em. Then set up within 50 yards next morning with a lone Jake. Get there at least 30 minutes before first light. Hens will pitch down in Jake and Toms will follow.

6. kycoalminer40

kycoalminer40 Fawn

Apr 20, 2017
    harlan, ky
    been hunting other birds with the same results. these mountains are so steep and the birds don't roost in the same area. once these hens go to setting. do you think the season will get better?

7. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    All good advice above , It boils down to a couple of different scenario's. If you have hunted this bird more than once. And stayed with him majority of the day its going to be tuff. If like most you are only hunting him in the morning and leaving 9-10. Skip a morning hunt and go in 2-3 o'clock , go in camo up'ed in case you bump him. Set up should be hide and seek, set up to were when you first see him you can kill him, if you can see a long way this is wrong. Pick a good comfortable spot No decoys or one to your left side if RH. This is not morning calling this is Purrs/clucks and very little soft yelping. If you call & he gobbles don't call for 15 min. be ready for the shot (success 30%) If you call & he double gobbles you need to be ready for the shot (success 50%). If a hen answers you instead of the gobbler you need to immediately cut at her, if she cuts back, cut back over her. Get ready for the shot (success 75%). More than likely the hen or hens will come to less than 10 ft from the end of your gun barrel , Ole Glory Head should be shuffling 20 yards behind them. Good Luck

gung likes this.
  8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    The best way is to get close while on the roost. Sometimes they will fly down to you. If not try to lure the old hen in to you by challenging her. She will often come in and bring the gobblers. It's getting green enough now that you can still ease close to the roost at first light without being seen.

Second is to hunt mid day when the hens go to the nest. They can be easy pickings at that time.

Third is to hunt in the late evening before the go to roost. Many times they will gobble and can be worked well then.

9. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    This is all great, traditional advice - all of which I have done. Now let me tell you what I have experienced this year. We have taken 13 turkeys in my group of 7 hunters so far. Only one was straight off the roost. I have had groups of 5 ,6, and 7 toms in full strut follow a pissed off hen into our decoys on 4 different occasions. What I did was the opposite of what I normally would do. I cackled, cut, and yelped as loud as I could and as often as I could with my diaphragm call. For whatever reason, this really pissed off 1 or 2 hens, who then tried to outdo me, all the while walking straight to me, bringing the boys with them. My hunters killed birds at 3 and 5pm, but half were taken between 7 and 8pm. Been some of the best hunting I've had in years - dunno why.

10. kycoalminer40

kycoalminer40 Fawn

Apr 20, 2017
    harlan, ky

11. kycoalminer40

kycoalminer40 Fawn

Apr 20, 2017
    harlan, ky
    thanks for the advice, i guess my game plan is to hunt early try to out call the hens and if that don't work going to hunt mid to late afternoon. thanks guys i like to chat with other hunters,so much to learn from each other

12. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Henned up use a fan and go right to em. Yeah some guys say that's not the old school style of hunting and blah blah blah but they're the guys that cry about they had one comin in on a string and he got henned up and they lost em blah blah blah cry me a flipping river. Get a fan and go kill birds. Then ask the ol guys is it easier to shoot one in at 50 yards or 6 yards!!

13. blade1

blade1 Spike

Oct 30, 2012
    KY
    All your doing is educateing the birds. If you want to kill those trophy toms you will have to do it the last 3 days of season. Most of the dum ones are dead and the rest are call shy. Hunt from 11 to 5. Throw the decoys in garbage and buy you a new call or two. Everytime you enter the woods start out with a different.call. If you get one to answer and he seems to be moving further away instead of getting closer You need to bring out the gobble call and anwser him everytime he gobbles when he gets close gets close spit and drum at him and give some soft clucking and purring just a little to make him think there is a hen with the gobbler(you). If he answers the clucking and purringg dont use it again. Spit and drum and gobble from then on. They come fast so be ready. It will scare young toms off so keep that in mind.