Decoy spread

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Mainbeam, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    well during youth season I’ll have my daughter with me and we will be confined to a blind for the most part. What type decoy spread do yal like in the early season? Strutting Tom and hens or what? I hate blind huntin therefore don’t know much about it.

2. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

If it keeps raining I'd make sure to use weighted keels and make sure ya got enough cord to reach the btm. JK, depends on what you're seeing in the area. Multiple gobblers, still grouped up, I'd go with a strutter.

elkaholic and DH13 like this.
  3. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I'd probably be worried about snow piling up on my decoys Saturday morning.

4. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I will be doing the same with my daughter, I have two gobblers locked down with 7 hens on one side of a rd and I have had one lone gobbler that has been ran off on the other side so my plan was to set out a few hen decoys and wait for the lone bird but as of this morning another gobbler, 7 jakes and about 10 hens have showed up with the lone bird so I’m not sure what I’m going to do

5. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
  6. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    MB this is a 1/2 strut jake, hen and laydown hen. They always go to the jake beat him up, mount the hen then get stupid strutting around the second hen. Even when their buddy is laying dead under the deke! :) IMG_3791.JPG

7. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Very nice indeed. We went and put up our blind yesterday evening. We saw 30 some turkeys with 8 being longbeards so we’re in them for sure. Now we just need a little luck

elkaholic likes this.
  8. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Good Luck to you all MB, and all the other Yutes headed out this weekend. Sounds like weather is gonna push some tough conditions. Hope the birds cooperate!

9. Ray

Ray Fawn

Apr 17, 2016
    I only use 3 decoys. I have a b-mobile strutter and 2 hens. I have one hen standing and one with no stake under the strutter like he's breeding.
    I've had a lot of luck with that set up. I've killed several henned up birds that I probably wouldn't have killed without that setup. I've had them leave the hens running. It seems to work best with older birds especially.

Mainbeam and Bee like this.
  10. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    My preference is a half strut Jake decoy and one hen, killed a lot of birds with that set up.
    I hear this weekend is supposed to be ugly with snow and wind and rain, yep folks going to be in blinds this weekend with kids for sure.
    I'm curious to see how many kids have success..everybody post pics.

11. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Good Luck to all the Young ones This weekend

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    All I’ve been using last couple of years is a cheap rubber jake and hen. I have gone two hens and jake in the past. I’m all woods, if I had a big open field I may set up more.

13. Outdoorsman12

Outdoorsman12 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2018
    Southwest virginia
    I'm all woods as well, lucky us.
    But as you know the more you pack in the more stressful it makes any hunt..I have two dekes to pack in..blind chair.. shotgun..another turkey chair..that's enough for me..

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ll sit a blind every once in a while but typically like sitting on ground for turkey. Getting harder as I get older!

15. nontypical2002

nontypical2002 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2006
    Going to be using a strutter with a jake tail fan and a feeding hen along with a single lookout hen...youth hunter will be tucked in a pop up blind Saturday am and wearing out shoe leather on Sunday. Good luck to all...