Deer baiting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, May 14, 2018.

1. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    to each his own. I baited in Michigan for years. Hunt Fort Knox now so just work funnels. I see more deer now.

2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.

You bait? Really? I guess you have to, it is in your name! LOL!!

3. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    My plan is to get a Cur dog and wage war. It will be a time-consuming money drain as hunting with a dog usually is, but it will be fun.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  5. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    I was never too big on it, but I realized years ago that I was feeding more squirrels and coons than deer. Started using Trophy Rock and other mineral blocks a few years ago. Still get plenty of pics on camera, and no wasting it on the other critters.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I guess my question would be...isn’t putting out minerals still baiting? I do it too but have talked to people who think minerals are good and corn, etc... are the devil. Of course much of what is grown in these food plots can’t be found in our local wilds either. I’ll go back to my popcorn now.

7. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    That should take care of the opossum population

8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    My 2 biggest bucks to date were taken in a funnel with no corn. I got the big idea of thinking if I put up a feeder and set it to feed after I arrive on stand, it would be an even better spot. Nope. I've never seen another mature buck there in the last 3 years. Not even on cam. And I know there's some in the area because I have pics of them on other cams. I'm seriously thinking about taking it down.

9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

Some wise old bucks associates the corn feeders with humans I think, while immature deer look at it as a free meal and don't think twice

10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I figure it’s a win-win. It’ll have more brains and a better mouth than the majority of Walker dogs out there:)

Electricity is an easy fix for trash running with a Cur.

11. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I want to see as many deer as I possibly can on my place. I put out mineral, set food plots and feed corn. Its all part of the enjoyment for me. I want my woods to be as inviting as it can be to the deer. I don't shoot many off my place but want the kids and people I invite to be successful and being successful means seeing deer not necessarily killing them. If I thought it was detrimental I would cease the practice. It sure does help in getting them in front of the camera though.

WMAallDAY and rlb165 like this.
  12. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I’m just messing with ya, as a walker owner I have an obligation to trash talk everything else

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Minerals.... in a sense ....yes as an attractor and primarily because of salt.... and in cases of store bought mixes...sugar.

But... I've never seen a mineral lick where you could predict or pattern when a deer will decide to come to it as you could a feeder or corn pile.

I'll also say ..... during deer season...you got a span from the opener in September to about mid-October when temps are warm that deer will be hitting licks fairly regular. Then from Halloween to mid-March ....cooler weather... they will rarely come back to it.

Again.... not much predictability of when or if a deer will decide to visit.

Food Plots..... I somewhat disagree about the part that what is grown cant be found in the local wilds. Which I've used store bought food plot blends and most are made up of rye grass, clover & braciscas. In turn there's others that maybe mix some type of pea or other gimmick variety.... but overall you still wind up with rye that deer don't eat...just makes a good mulch bedding to help choke out some broad leafs. Clover that's prevalent in any yard, pasture or field.. and a bracisca (sp) is basically a hybrid turnip green... that basically is fairly common to be planted around here in the fall.

Which to me food plots are an attractor no doubt but again like mineral licks ...hard for a hunter to pattern a deer. As you cant never tell where a deer might enter the plot or any timing. In turn..... one major benefit to a plot is spreading out the feeding over a much larger area and less chance of nose or moth contact with each other to spread disease . As such... from most what I've read...even EHD with deer spread over a larger area... makes it harder for the midge to infect a lot of deer in comparison a congregation concentrated in one spot like a pile of corn.

Corn piles, feeders and supplemental feeding in general .... is a quick & easy way to attract deer. Which back when we were running feeders with spin timers.... it was almost like ringing the dinner bell. Which is easy to pattern or condition deer for that matter giving advantage to the hunter. You cant do that with plots or mineral sites.

Also add .... supplemental feeding / baiting at present is a legal practice..... I'm not going to run down or thumb nose the guy doing it.

But overall and for various personal reasons.... I wished the practice was banned.

Which we quit running feeders on our place around 2009.... and we see as many or more deer..including better bucks now than we did then. As there's a lot to be said about the constant in & out to maintain corn piles or feeders ....spreading scent & bumping deer. Same could be said on running cameras.... just don't take much to change the habits of a mature (4-5 year old) whitetail buck.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    WMAallDAY and mudhole crossing like this.
  14. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    We run a feeder behind the house (when it's legal) because we simply like watching the deer, foxes, racoons & whatever else comes in to it. If we're really needing the meat & coming up empty at the farm, we'll also hunt it. But we prefer hunting out at our farm where it would be useless to put out feeders because as soon as daylight hits, it's sounds like a billion bumblebees taking flight from all the feeders going off around us. Counted more than 15 one morning, and who knows how many went off simultaneously that didn't get counted!

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’m with ya on all accounts JD but bottom line is minerals is still supplemental feeding. Not judging anyone, I do it. But bottom line is I’m saying corn pile or big mineral hole, we’ve still put something in place that didn’t get there naturally.