Deer mineral or deer attractant

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Dreamhunter, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    Real World Maximizer
    I will leave it at that.

2. Huntertyler

Huntertyler Spike

Nov 3, 2014
    Madison county
    Lucky buck is the only way to go. Truly keeps the deer coming back while positively affecting the antler size and a healthy herd in general.

elkaholic likes this.
  3. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Trace mineral, been doing that for years now, wouldn't waste money on the other stuff

4. Zforzachariah

Zforzachariah Spike

Jul 7, 2017
    East BumbleF
    Agreed with everyone else. We refreshed ours every year just due to low cost and well, why not?? A saltlick that was been there for several years will bring any deer that has been on your land around.

5. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    Scientifically proven NOT to increase a deers rack size in a wild free range setting. Great for summer time trail camera sets though

6. Zforzachariah

Zforzachariah Spike

Jul 7, 2017
    East BumbleF
    Nope, but they do love to check them out. 8 years of continued use and this is the size of one now.

Attached Files:

7. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    There is no study that says the minerals will NOT help.

8. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    oh yes there is to. i just read that not to long ago. I cant remember exactly where i read it but it went in to great detail. Basically its good to get pics and i guess to make a few people feel like there helping the herd. Zero advantage to rack size.

9. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    FROM QDMA: "The results of these studies suggest that mineral supplementation – especially calcium, phosphorus, and sodium – may provide some benefit, especially in situations where deer are nutritionally deprived or areas with minerally deficient soils. While the advantages of mineral supplementation have not been clearly documented, neither have any disadvantages."

10. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Ok so there are no clear advantages right. Thats what it says

11. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    You guys that think mineral don't help deer health, do you not have livestock or ever raised livestock? Now I'm not saying it makes racks bigger cause our Herefords don't have horns the size of long horns. But animals need salt and mineral. I don't know why deer wouldn't? Yes deer aren't in a pen where t can be forced on em. But we don't shove it down our cows throats they eat it free choice just the same as a deer. I just don't see how you could say good mineral supplements aren't beneficial to an animals health.

Powerstro284 likes this.
  12. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    Seems like the whole FREE RANGE thing is getting lost here. Cows are not free range

13. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    They eat it free choice

14. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    i understand what your saying but cows arent deer. And cattle arent free range. not to mention cattle are grazers and deer are browsers. The study i read said a deer cant use but x amount of mineral when they consume. And that there gonna get the x amount they need in soybeans corn mast etc etc. a deer can lick on a mineral block for three hours but hes after the sidium not the minerals and if hes had his daily dose of minerals then its,wasted. he has no way to store that mineral for later use. My point is that we affect wild deer very little in our efforts to grow big deer and grow healthy deer. We just like to think we are doing a good deed but in reality i believe we are not. Its for pics and to tickle our own fancies.

15. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I never said there was documentation of advantages. I said there was no documentation of it not helping, and you swooped in disagreeing.
    Me: "There is no study that says the minerals will NOT help."
    You "Oh yes there is."