DIY Pronghorn Hunt Wyoming

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by WhiskerBiscuit, May 16, 2016.

1. WhiskerBiscuit

WhiskerBiscuit Fawn

Feb 11, 2009
    Hopkins County
    Anyone have any info on DIY Pronghorn hunting in Wyoming?
    Thanks!

2. piebald buster

piebald buster 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Glasgow Ky.
    Have you been to Eastman's forum for antelope? That may help you with some questions. ;-)

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

May be to late for 2016 draw, you may find some leftover tags tho in some areas if you search.

4. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Getting a tag is no problem. Getting a tag in a decent area requires points to draw. In July (I think) you can go and purchase a preference point this year.

Then start researching the area you want to hunt.

5. piebald buster

piebald buster 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Glasgow Ky.
    Draw for this year ends on May 31.

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Ive been there several times. Last time was last year. Drawn each time with zero points. DIY archery last year. Been successful every year out there. I put in again this year. Hunted public and private land. Some ranchers will let you hunt there property for a trespass fee. Lots of antelope last year because of good rainfall in the summer and hearing that the winter was not bad there this year making for good survival rates this year. Should be another good season this year. If archery hunting I like hunting a water source.

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Been a while I was not sure when the cutoff date was but knew it was kind of early in the year. Do they still offer left over archery tags after opening day half price ? We drew but then also bought a couple left over doe tags a couple days into the Archery season.

8. piebald buster

piebald buster 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Glasgow Ky.
    Can't answer that question for sure. Reading their regulations is like studying for a doctor's degree. But, I saw where they do have reduced tags for sale after the draw.

Joseph likes this.
  9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yeah I hear ya on the regs, so many zone or areas it is hard to keep up with. We had to drive from Douglas up to Casper to the headquarters to buy those half price tags for the area we were drawn for. 3 of us hunting, one guy failed to tag a lope did get a small mule deer. My other buddy and myself filled buck and doe lope tags but neither of us had drawn buck deer tags and didn't want to shoot a doe.

10. piebald buster

piebald buster 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Glasgow Ky.
    How long has it been since you have been out there Duster? I've read the goat population numbers are coming back up. Me and two buddies of mine are planning on putting in for the draw this year. Got two areas in mind, with each of us having 6 pp's. Didn't get drawn for our area last year with 5 pp's each. Hoping to get drawn this time. It will probably be the last time any/all of us will get to go back out there to hunt. Love hunting the state, but hate these "new" draws. LOL

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    the tag numbers have decreased the past few years making the draw a little tougher. there are some left over tags in a few areas. I've gone out twice on left over tags, but have to get them early and make sure you have a place to hunt.
    something to think about without burning your points, I've drawn tags on my second choice and still maintained my point total.

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

It's been a while since we made that out west trip. The goat population was up there then and finding a place on private property to hunt was no problem. We knocked on doors and was never turned down, one place wanted $20 if we killed on his property. Our best spot cost nothing but a case of Bud lite. Not many years before that ranchers were in town trying to give away free permits the goats had all but ate them out of house and home.
    I even had permission to hunt the airport property right in town, got that from the chief of police. I am sure things are different now than then.
    We pulled a popup camper out and set up on the property the mule deer hunting was on. I wish I could remember the area we had tags for but I do remember we were southwest of Douglas. Couple things to think of, the air is dry as heck and you need to drink water even if you don't think so, also the air is thin out there more so than you would think so give yourself a couple days to get used to it. Can be heck on a flat land person when you think someone done stole all the air.

13. piebald buster

piebald buster 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Glasgow Ky.
    Been several years since I have been out there too. Went mule deer hunting that time and loved it. Good Luck to anyone planning a trip out west this Fall regardless of whatever species you are pursuing.
    Anybody on here ever lope hunted the Lander area?

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  14. Stacked

Stacked Fawn

Jul 22, 2014
    Ohio
    We are planning on going out next year. We are looking at mule deer and pronghorn. I think we'll have 4 or 5 points going in. Looking for an area where we can get a chance st a respectable representative of each one. We had planned on this year, but we have a big family vacation to Alaska taking up our time.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I wish I had kept up with a contact list I could share with yall. I would say most places have changed hands as we hunted ranches the owners were older people except for a couple family places. It was a different world out there than most people have been in. The ranch I killed both Lopes on belong to a ranchers son. Son only had about 40 acres where dad had several thousand. First day I hunted him he gave me a key to his home...as he said just in case I wanted to keep something in the fridge or needed a bathroom. Then him and his wife took off to the NW part mountains after Moose, his wife had drawn a tag for a bull. Never seen them again but when he got home a case of Bud lite was on his porch with the key under it.