Do you own a garden tiller

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, May 16, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Pretty sure I blew the gear's out of my Yardmachine MTD today. Was tilling up a spot for a couple shrubs and was holding it in place making it dig a hole and all heck broke loose in the gear case. It will still go forward and reverse but real slow and the tines just stop when put under any stress.
    So I will be looking for a new one. And curious what everyone has and how they like them. Checked on price for new gears and chains and came up with $700 for parts. Figure I can buy a new one for around that much. My old one made it 17 years and was rode hard more than once.
    Looking at a Husqvarna DRT900 17 inch with reversible tines. Best price I have found so far is $799.00 at Rural King. I may hold off until later in the year when they do close out's on lawn and garden stuff tho. I bought a Husqvarna riding mower there a few years ago late fall and saved $500 off the regular price.

2. Larry Risner

Larry Risner Spike

Mar 15, 2018
    Berea, kentucky
    Got a sear special craftmans been doing it for 20+ years and treated like hell, heck the gas tank is busted so you can only fill it have way and have never changed the oil. Still one pull and she runs like hell. I think I payed less that or around $300.00 for it back in the day new.

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Probably a shear pin, Duster.

Carl and bondhu like this.
  4. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Northern Kentucky
    If you have a tractor, look into maybe getting a 3 point tiller.

5. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

https://www.ebay.com/i/282069396675?chn=ps

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Thanks guys...I will look into the shear pins that may be it. When it started going out it made a squeal sound then a loud rattle and clunk sound that just got worse. I first figured it was the belt or pully but once I took the side cover off they looked fine and work fine.

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I bought a Cub Cadet rear tine tiller around 2006 ... thinking its model is RT65 or something like that.... gave $699 for it then. So I'm sure its in the $700-$800 range now.

Its an 18"inch tilling width...and has forward and counter rotating tine direction...which was the selling point to me. Overall... its a digging machine and don't beat you to death once you learn to just let it do its thing.

Which back when I bought mine they had Honda Engines .... and a few years later I saw the same tiller with Kohler.

Mines been a good one ...... have had no mechanical issues and the only thing I've replaced was the belt. Which mine gets pretty heavy use with the garden and always been easy to start. Which I usually in the fall when I do my last tilling and clearing the garden off...I'll run a little Seafoam in the fuel tank before I put it up for the season. This year in March... I was working on my mower getting it ready and saw the tiller setting there and thought I'd see if it would start. So I pulled the choke and pushed the throttle up...and so help me ..it started on the first pull. Which its always been like that and one reason the majority of the power stuff I own has Honda engines.

As such... like most things concerning tillers or mowers.... Cub Cadet is made by MTD. So... the Cub Cadet tiller "may" be offered in other makes & models.

Which TroyBuilt is still probably the best tiller in most circles.... but for the money I've gotten good service out of this cub for my use.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

We got it kinda apart today. So far we know it was not the shear pin's in the blade shaft. And BIL ( my go to guy with all outdoor equipment things) had things to do so we stopped for the day. I started it up this morning to run it in the trailer and it goes forward and reverse fine. Even the blades turned at normal speed but soon as you drop it to the ground all heck breaks loose with the noise and the tines stop cold. Once we got it off the ground you can rotate the large belt wheel by hand that runs the gears and the tines turn. We did find out trying to take apart a tiller bought in 2001 things stick. We had to use a hammer and a punch to drive out the shear pins in the axle shaft. And a air ratchet for a lot of the other nut's and bolts. Got it broke down to where we can at least work on the gear case tomorrow.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Got it fixed and saved myself a bunch of money. Broke open the gear case today and found one of the gears that turns the tines has a key and keyway with a set screw to hold it on a shaft. I guess after all those years it had wore down and letting the gear slip on the shaft. Just enough when you put pressure on the tines to lock them up. Ground down another key to fit, got it put in and tiller put back together enough to check it out and it ran like new. Button up all the shields and such and ready to bring home tomorrow when I get my truck back from daughter.

The only shear pins are one on each side of the tine shaft and two more one on each side of the wheel axels.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  10. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    That's good to know. Me and the neighbor both use an MTD that's 15+ years old. It actually got caught in the flood last year on our property from the hurricane. Broke it down and ended up replacing the carb, but it sings a better tune then when it was new!