Dove Field planning

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Buford, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    You all have endeavored to persevere and have some great fields. Best of luck with the birds and the weather.
    As of 8/31, I'm not thrilled with my results. the Sorghum/Millet combo was not suited to my equipment. Worse, my 90 day maturity sorghum is still not finished (Planted 5/18). The seeds are immature and not letting go well. The sheer mass of material was overwhelming. I've got three days in mowing, tedding, raking, then zero turning this mess and the birds have only shown moderate interest. I'm worn out, tore up a bunch of equipment, and disappointed.
    Looks like I'm going back to plan A-kill a big pile of does this year and go back to what I know, Sunflowers.
    final.JPG

hunt-4-life21 likes this.
  2. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I am glad I haven't mowed my sunflowers yet this rain is gonna sprout a lot of seed that's on the ground. doves haven't been bothered by them standing so may just leave them. Ran a couple hundred out of the quarter acre plot day before yesterday while working in the garden. I would say this will sprout all the weed seed that I laid down last week.