Dove Field planning

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Buford, Mar 17, 2017.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I used Dove proso millet , That is what I was told was best . Anyone else used Dove Proso or white millet ?

2. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0142.JPG I put mine in yesterday. Half sorghum, half brown top. Wondering about two separate germination periods in same field. Would like to get some prowl on it after germination, before emergence.

3. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Little spotty, but looking good dove field.JPG

4. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Not sure what you can see here but it's a pretty good 10 day stand. Nice mix of volunteer sunflowers in millet milo planted but not sure if sucker seeds will make much. Plus I really don't want the deer in here again.

5. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Planted on the 15th. Second picture is on the 27th.
    IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG

bondhu likes this.
  6. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    IMG_4623 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4494 - Copy.JPG
    Planted these on the 21st. Couple questions if anyone knows the answer. In the past the seeds have been blue and bigger (I think they were Syngenta Clearfield or something similar to that)... this bag in the picture, the Mycogen, the seeds were red and smaller. For the plates I used in the planter they probably dropped 2 red seeds per opening for over 50% of the time. I had some of the blue seed left over from last year so I used the blue in one hopper and the red in the other hopper of the 2 row planter. The blue seeds dropped 1 seed per opening. Will be a good experiment I guess. For next year I will get the seed in time to test it in the planter with the plates I have so that I can get new plates if need be. Question 1 is what can I expect if 2 seeds dropped each time? Question 2 I am assuming the same "Lightning" chemical I have used in years past will work on the weeds after the plants are about 4-6 inches tall? Would hate to spray and kill all the red seed sunflowers. Haven't been back to the field to see progress but hope to this weekend. Weather has cooperated thus far. Should have some plants popping. Many Thanks, Rob

7. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I can't say for sure what will happen with the double drop. When I planted clearfield they were red coated. I'm using a soybean special drill and it is not terribly accurate. I'd say if the soil is good they'll both come up but maybe smaller if they're fighting for root space?
    I had trouble finding lightning. Maybe I remember someone told me Lightning was discontinued which helped me give up sunflowers. Have you sourced it yet? The last packages of lightning I had were dated 2014.

8. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Close planting might make the seed heads smaller but they should do ok .
    Lightning is not supposed to be used on Sunflowers according to this site only use Beyond . http://sunflowernsa.com/magazine/articles/default.aspx?ArticleID=2998

I use Beyond and it is $530 a gallon if you can find it .

How much did you have to pay for those seeds ? I had to pay $280 a bag

9. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    https://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/lightning-70dg-herbicide-12-8-ounces-395

10. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I paid $100 for 12.8oz of Lightning. And $25 for a 50lb bag of the sunflowers above.

11. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    From what I have read , Lightning is only for use on Clearfield corn varieties and not sunflowers .
    If you can find MYCOGEN Clearfield sunflowers for $25 for a 50 pound bag then I would like to know where so I can stock up on them .

I know you can buy the cheaper sunflowers but they are not herbicide tolerant .

This is from Sunflowersusa .
    2) While the Clearfield system is available for several different field crops, including corn, wheat, rice, and canola, the “imi” chemical formulations are not interchangeable. Thus, for example, Lightning is labeled only for use on Clearfield corn hybrids, not Clearfield sunflower hybrids. As well, one would not apply Beyond on Clearfield corn hybrids.

12. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I paid $25 for these through our local NWTF. Bought these last year and another bag this year. Came up great. And my southern states rep says you can spray sunflowers with lightning. Lightning and beyond have them same chemistry.
    IMG_1718.JPG

13. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    bigb I paid $265 for the 50# bag from Woodford feed in Versailles. They are one of the only places I know that will sell you whatever lbs you want per lb. Hunt4life21 if you can hook the rest of us up with your source it would be much appreciated! I am sure the membership to your local NWTF chapter would be 10X what it is now if we all had to join just to buy the seed at that price; it would be well worth it I imagine. Thanks also for the link to the lightning. Hard to believe there is that much Margin in these products.
    I paid $249 for the 12.8 oz. of lighting back in May of 2015 from Southern States in Lexington. It is granular and dissolves in the water when mixed. I still had plenty left over.
    My Internet Research back then and then again late last night leads me to the same conclusion that Hunt4life21 stated above "Lightning and beyond have them same chemistry" I don't necessarily think its exactly the same but I think its close enough for what I am doing. I read somewhere on this forum and some other forums where several members had successfully used so I gave the lightning a shot and it worked. Hoping it does again this year as well with this new red seed. Here are some of the sites/threads where I found the information on http://scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?54591-petrovic-sunflowers http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/round-up-ready-sunflowers.551208/ One thing I found interesting is that they said the best time to spray is when there are 2 - 4 leaves on the plant. Do you all agree that's the best time to spray? Historically I had waited till almost too tall to run over with my ranger spraying rig... this year I will try earlier when 2 - 4 leaves are on each plant and see what that gets me. That may be this weekend; wont know till I run down and check on them. I've always enjoyed following your sunflower field posts Buford; you may have to do 1/2 and 1/2 next year or double the size of your field and plant one in sunflowers and the other in the millet milo. I will be interested to follow your millet milo field this year. Do any of you all spray your fields with anything right after you plant? I have one buddy that swears that's the best way to do it. Plant it on Saturday and then Spray it on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday with ___(I can't remember what he said)____ ; Its some type of pre emergent that he says does not affect sunflowers coming up. He says when he does that he doesn't have to do any other weed control during the growing stage; therefore he uses the less expensive seeds. I have hunted his field and its as clean as any that I have seen done with the Clearfield seeds that were sprayed during sunflower growth. Thanks for all the great information provided. Rob

14. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Yes on the 2-4 leaves. When I used beyond at 2 feet, it was ineffective. Lightning at 2-4 leaves worked great. On the milo/millett spraying, this year I put roundup down the same day I planted. In years past on sunflowers I would wait 7-10 days until I thought they had germinated but not emerged and put roundup and prowl down together. It worked great. I've always been under the impression prowl would not hurt sunflowers but I always gave them a chance to germ first because my understanding is the prowl sterilizes the seed, any seed. Maybe it doesn't affect sunflowers but its not something I'm confident on so I tried to time it to minimize problems if I was wrong.
    This year I already have mares tail coming in. I may go back in with 24d/prowl next week and try to get a handle on the mares tail as it is a huge mess if left alone.