Dove Field planning

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Buford, Mar 17, 2017.

1. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I got mine from the Butler Co. Longbeards NWTF. Our NWTF usually gets seed each year. This year, they didn't order any because they had some left from last year. Now, keep in mine I'm sure this seed is 2 years old when NWTF gets it. So, the seed was 3 yrs. old this year and had me questioning germination. But everything came up great. D&G Archery in Rochester, KY usually holds most of the seed. If not them, the owner of the New Image Oil Change place in Morgantown will have seed. They get them early spring most years.

https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-2150.pdf
    I found the above link this year after a little research. My SS Rep. is on my DU committee so we talk a lot. He suggested burning down with Roundup and Dual. Dual is a residual and roundup is a contact kill. This is pre-planting. He told me if I did that, I wouldn't have much left. Well, it was already too late to spray Dual when I talked to him. So last year, I used 6 row-30" spaced cultivators and cultivated the sunflowers like old timers used to do corn back before herbicide. Spartan is also another herbicide that can kill more than Dual. Read the labels. Dual is a grass killer.

When looking at Lightning, I've read everything under the sun. My rep says to spray early, the smaller the better. I read somewhere that sunflowers need to be 4-6" tall before spraying. The label says it will work on weeds up to 4" tall, some 8" but mostly 3-6". The label also says to only spray Lightning once. So from my farming experience, you have a dilemma here. How good does lightning work after a contact kill? I'm not sure what the answer is. The label says to cultivate a week after the spray IF it's been dry. So that tells me there is some residual in it. You don't want to turn up untreated soil after spraying unless you have some residual to it. You always want to spray when as much of the weeds have germinated and came up as possible, but still want the weeds to be as little as possible. So, there's gotta be a happy medium there.

2. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Mares tail is a nightmare in RR crop fields. I can't imagine getting it in sunflowers. Roundup won't kill it past 3-4". 24-d will but it'll kill corn and beans. I'm sure it would get sunflowers too. According to that article I posted above, you can use Prowl as a preemergence but not as a post emergence. I tried to put down Authority (a pre emergence for soybeans) just to see if sunflowers would come up. I sprayed a 5ft long strip by 40. Sunflowers came up but are skorched bad.

3. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I only use prowl pre emerge on sunflowers. You can use it post emerge on grasses(millett/milo), which is how I'm using it this year. Prowl on sunflowers is standard procedure around here.

4. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I go a cheaper route. I spray down with 2qts/acre roundup. Wait about 10 days and disc and sow my millet. If I get a good rain millet will pop up and get above the weeds and all I have to do is fertilize at that point. I will take millet over sunflowers any day as long as you have the equipment to rake and bale. I may try raking and burning this year.

5. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Here we are Saturday
    sat.jpg
    The bare looking rows are the millett. Just real tiny still.
    I have hay equipment, just not sure if I want to drag my stuff around in the dirt. What's not
    new, I have painstakingly rebuilt and try to take care of...
    I am also hoping to burn, but while standing if possible. If I have to mow before the burn,
    I am thinking more of bushhogging it instead.

6. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Friday evening pictures.
    IMG_4726 - Copy.JPG IMG_4727 - Copy.JPG

The second picture with the hat blocking the sun in the upper right shows the difference in the blue seed vs the red seed. The red is bigger and many doubles occurred; as well as closer spacing; not sure how that happened but it did. Since we went back forth during planting you can definitely see the pattern of 2 strong rows and then 2 weaker rows side by side as you drive around the field. The blue is old seed and the plants just aren't up much yet; some barely poking through the earth. Will spray next weekend to allow more to come up prior to spraying with Lightning.

7. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    This was Saturday applying the first round of Lightning. Some preemergence would've been nice. The was a hay field last year so I'm sure there's a lot of seed in that ground somewhere.

IMG_1721.JPG

8. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    This was Saturday. I couldn't remember the mix or the speed or what I had previously done however after reading the directions 3 times I finally decided on 1.28 oz of Lightning mixed in with 15 gallons of water for 1 acre. Rolled with that and finally adjusted my speed to where I think I was mostly correct getting the 15 gallons water / 1.28 oz chemical on approximately 1 acre. The first tank spraying I only sprayed like 1/2 acre with the 1.28 oz of Lightning so I hope I didn't scorch those too bad. Will be interested to see. Anyone ever go back and fertilize after spraying? I was thinking that may be good to do if I can find the time and the money. Recommendation for fertilizing if I choose to give it a shot?
    IMG_4792 - Copy.JPG IMG_4802 - Copy.JPG

bondhu likes this.
  9. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
  10. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Finally figured out my old photobucket login. Here is what I have done so far.
    [​IMG]
    millet planted two weeks ago

[​IMG]
    this is the cover crop for where my garden will be next year. rolled down the winter cover crop and drilled sunflowers into it. One application of roundup about a week or so before I rolled it down and still weed free.

[​IMG]

here is the millet now. It needs rain and fertilizer. hoping we can hit a rain this week so I can get the fertilizer on it.

bondhu likes this.
  11. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Nice rain this am. Next pics will be nice.

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I don't know anything about sunflowers or millet, but this thread is pretty sweet.

13. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    sor.JPG Here we are tonite at 28 days. The millet is not keeping up with the sorghum but the sorghum was inoculated and millett was not. I may skip spraying I don't know. Sorghum will definitely shade out the morning glory. Not sure about millet...Either way its a huge improvement over last years slow starting, then deer eaten sunflowers.
    The sorghum may have gone in too thick, millet not thick enough.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    bondhu likes this.
  14. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Monday evening pictures. 1 week and 1 day after spraying with Lightning.
    IMG_4869a.jpg IMG_4878a.jpg

bondhu likes this.
  15. rcatron

rcatron 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2010
    winchester, ky
    Won't be long til those power lines are loaded with birds