Dove Field planning

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Buford, Mar 17, 2017.

1. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
  2. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    It worked pretty good. Will be anxious to see what another week does for it. Next year I am going to try what one of my buddies does. He explained it to me but I wasn't in a position to write it down. Told him I would call back and get the directions from him on exactly how and when. Here is a picture of his field. He either sprays right before or right after he plants. His field is super clean. When I find out I will post it up. That's the route I am going to try next year. He uses regular seed and only sprays the one time. PJ Field2.jpg

3. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Rob,
    Great lookin fields.
    I'd bet money your friend put down glyphosate/pendimethlyn. That's what mine used to look like before the deer shut down my sunflower dreams.

4. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Whatever it is, get us a name and a link. I've got rows between my sunflowers that look like the Master's golf course. They weeds aren't growing, but they're still there. Sunflowers are knee to waist high right now.

5. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Just got off the phone with him. He works his ground real good; multiple discing. The then plants his sunflower seeds. He then puts down 2.5 pints prowl with 10 oz Spartan in 20-25 gallons of water per acre right after he plants the sunflowers with his two row planter. Typically the next day after planting. He tries to time his planting so that it rains the next day after spraying or within a couple days. He believes the rain helps get more of the chemical into the earth. He stated the key was to spray immediately after planting before the sunflowers had any chance to start growing.

I did a little math to see what the investment amount is for the chemicals and the seeds based on "his way" vs "my way" vs "hunt4life way".

Here is what I came up with:

Investment for Option 1 - "His Way - using Prowl and Spartan and Peredovic Sunflowers"
    About $128.00 for a quart for Spartan. 32 ounces per quart. Uses 10 ounces per acre. $4 per ounce so $40 per acre.
    Prowl $100 for 2.5 gallons. 8 pints per 1 gallon. 20 pints per 2.5 gallons. Uses 2.5 pints per acre. $5.00 per pint so $12.50 per acres.
    Chemical is $52.50 per acre. If you have 5 acres that would be $262.50 total for 5 acres
    50#’s Peredovic Sunflowers about $50.00 and will easily do 5 acres.
    Total investment would be around $320.00 for 5 acres or $65.00 per acre.

Investment for Option 2 - "My Way - Herbicide Tolerant Sunflower Seeds followed by spraying with Lightning"
    $265.00 for 50#’s Clearfield Mycogen Herbicide Tolerant Sunflower Seeds.
    Only need 25#’s therefore cost would be $132.50 for 5 acres.
    Lightning to spray when plants are 3-4” tall is $250.00.
    Only need ½ that therefore cost would be $125.00 for 5 acres.
    You would be in for $375 for 5 acres or $75.00 per acre.

Investment for Option 3 - "hunt-4-life21 Way - Herbicide Tolerant Seeds followed by spraying with Lightning"
    $25.00 for 50#’s Clearfield Mycogen Herbicide Tolerant Sunflower Seeds
    Only need 25#’s therefore cost would be $12.50 for 5 acres.
    Lightning to spray when plants are 3-4” tall is $100.00.
    Only need ½ that therefore cost would be $50.00 for 5 acres.
    You would be in for $150 for 5 acres or $30.00 per acre.

Investment for Option 4 - Doing hybrid of options 1,2 and 3 with preferred buying numbers then regular pricing numbers.
    Spray Prowl and Spartan - $52.50 per acre
    Plant Herbicide Tolerant Seeds - $3.00 per acre if can get hunt4life seed deal
    Spray with Lighting if needed - $5.00 per acre.
    You would be in for $302.50 for 5 acres or $60.50 per acre
    If you had to buy the seed at $26.50 per acre you would be in for $420.00 for 5 acres or $84.00 per acre

6. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    $25.00 for 50#’s Clearfield Mycogen Herbicide Tolerant Sunflower Seeds

I would still like to find out where you can buy 50# Clearfield Mycogen seeds for $25 a bag .
    Any info as to where I can buy them ???

7. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    top of page 3 post by hunt4life "I got mine from the Butler Co. Longbeards NWTF. Our NWTF usually gets seed each year. This year, they didn't order any because they had some left from last year. Now, keep in mine I'm sure this seed is 2 years old when NWTF gets it. So, the seed was 3 yrs. old this year and had me questioning germination. But everything came up great. D&G Archery in Rochester, KY usually holds most of the seed. If not them, the owner of the New Image Oil Change place in Morgantown will have seed. They get them early spring most years." ....

I am right there with you! Hopefully we can all join that chapter and get some seed for $25.00!

8. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    The prowl(pendimethlyn) is the key. It sterilizes all the stuff in the seed bank. Not sure what the spartan does but the glypho/prowl allows total kill plus no further seeds can germinate.
    Bare dirt is the most valuable thing in a field

9. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Question for you Buford. Why then does the sunflower seed germinate and come up? That doesn't make sense to me but I am definitely just a hobbyist at all this. My buddy has done this for quite a few years so it obviously does! Thanks!

10. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Thanks for the info. and numbers Rob. D&G used to have a phone number but someone sent me a PM and said they didn't any longer. Kinda odd. You can call New Image Lube & Oil Change in Morgantown. Ask for Greg. He should be able to point you in the right direction on seed. Problem is I bet they won't mess with shipping. Also, please don't sell out the seed for us locals LOL.

I'm not sure the total usage of Spartan, either. But the link I posted earlier from U of Arkansas says the Prowl/Spartan mix has preformed better than just a Prowl/ Roundup mix.

I had planned on no-tilling next year. It may or may not happen. But Prowl and maybe Spartan will be going on my fields next year.

11. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I've been told prowl doesn't affect sunflower seed but I'm not sure of that.
    I put prowl down after the sunflowers have germinated just to be safe.

12. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Week 5 (planted on 5.21) update
    Glad they didn't float away in the rain this weekend.
    IMG_4927a.jpg

13. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    [​IMG]

here is my sunflowers that were drilled into my winter cover crop that I rolled down. they are looking good and now shading out the ground so shouldn't have any weed issues.

14. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    sorg.JPG
    That rain got me right where I needed to be. No need to spray now. I may even be far enough along

15. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run