Dove Field planning

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Buford, Mar 17, 2017.

1. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Prowl is safe to use on about everything, including your garden. It will not control everything, as stated above. If you have wet ground you will have nutsedge come up. I've never used Spartan, but I'll be looking up that mix. Thanks to the poster

Y'all have some really nice sunflower fields, congrats. I'll post mine when the heads open, lol.

2. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I don't like Prowl in the garden . I used to plant green beans in rows at the side of my tobacco patches treated with Prowl . After cooking / canning the skins on the out side was , well lets say not green bean but a shell skin layer .

3. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Killed it. Except for where the damn deer are bedding in the damn millet. image1.JPG

hunt-4-life21 likes this.
  4. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Week 7 (Planted 5.21)
    IMG_5035a.jpg

Buford likes this.
  5. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Should have a field full of flowers this week. Starting to see some yellow poke through.
    IMG_1776.JPG

6. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    What brand and type of seed did you use this year ?
    I use Mycogen Clearfield and for the past couple of years they seem to not grow out proper .
    I get plenty of height but the flowers seem small and stalks is kind of skinny but 6' plus tall .
    Mine are in full bloom

Buford likes this.
  7. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    With or without fert?
    Those sunflowers use a lot of nutrients. I use to have Clearfield in an old feed lot and heads were bigger than a dinner plate.
    Gradually they got smaller and less awesome. Then I moved to a worn out crop field and they barely got by even with some
    fertilize. It needed thousands in fertilizer to make it right. And people wonder why I am so grouchy about my dove field.

8. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    My deer want to know where your field is. Theyre pissed they don't have any sunflowers to ruin this year.

9. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    My Clearfields were huge last year. The field had been in hay the year earlier. Same way this year. But the place I put them this year isn't as good of soil as last year. The heads were like Buford said, bout the size of a dinner plate. I thought I had some picture somewhere but I can't find it. You could also see by the size of the flower head where the better ground is. Some were huge. Some were tiny. But most of that was good ground.

10. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I applied 100 pounds of nitrate per acre . This is good soil , But we have had ALOT of rain from Tropical storm Cindy and one previous heavy rain . Rain water was standing on the field . My Proso dove does not seem to like the water either but looks good except where water stood on the field .

There is a few places in my field that has what looks like a watermelon vine thistle growing and those sunflowers do not grow where they are at . When my fields start dying I am going to roundup those thing and try and get rid of them . Beyond only suppressed them and did not kill them .

11. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Sunflowers hate wet feet. There's your trouble with the smaller heads.

12. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Some really big heads on the flowers this year.
    IMG_1789.JPG

13. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Beauty.....

14. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Sunflowers are density dependent, so too many seeds makes too many plants = small seed heads. That being said, y'all have some incredible looking fields. I've raised them for many years, as much as 20 acres for commercial shoots. I'm still learning better ways, and enjoy those of you who share your progress and success.

If you really want to have a better dove field then don't walk away from it after season. Plant it in wheat/annual clover (crimson is most common) after your last shoot. The wheat will capture the remaining fertilizer, clover will make (fix) additional nitrogen. Spray it next year in late April/early May, then plant your dove field. That will really save on fertilizer costs, and increase organic matter.

15. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Interesting you say that about the wheat. John has no-tilled sunflowers in wheat. He has a good stand and the cover kept weeds from coming. I've always been against growing wheat, cutting for hay, then discing. Wheat has such a strong root structure that working the ground is very time consuming. I'm going to try no-tilling some sunflowers next year after some burn downs and pre-emergence sprays.