Dove Field planning

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Buford, Mar 17, 2017.

1. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    This is the plot I did. It is my summer cover crop for the garden. Or tax deductible dove plot however you want to look at it. This was a fall cover crop of cereal rye crimson clover and winter peas. The best part is just a single application of roundup then rolled the cover crop down with a cultipacker then drilled sunflowers in with a regular drill with a few holes taped up to get more spacing. I went over it a couple times worried I wasn't getting enough seed thru the thatch. The weed suppression was great. Here are two pics one of the flowers and one of the ground underneath. This is the edge of the row so it will be better further into the plot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    I use a no-till corn planter so I don't have to till, unless I want to. You're right, if wheat is allowed to finish the root system is very developed. But you can stop that growth whenever you want with glyphosate. I'm going to plant some corn/beans for food plots in standing dead cereal grains next year. I'm hoping that will help reduce predation from crows/squirrels/deer on the young plants.

3. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1276.JPG So with the heavy lifting on dove field done I've gone to work on my duck ponds. Two are in the woods and will be drained and planted this week. Today I put millet in the new hole. It's 150x80 with a standpipe setup.

4. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    That is too awesome Buford! Have always wanted to create a plant and flood. Looking forward to following this project.

5. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Week 9 (planted 5.21)
    IMG_5209 - Copy.JPG IMG_5212 - Copy.JPG

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Wow. Looks great.

7. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Thanks Rob, I did this at previous farm with some success. It's not Arkansas, but it's a fun and enjoyable project. After adding up what I spent on Arkansas, plus the hassle of travel and just getting old, I decided I'd be happy to shoot less than a limit of ducks a couple times a year with only a four wheeler ride 5 minutes from my fireplace and kitchen...and will save some money. We have a pretty nice duck population in December and January thanks to a big public park lake and several big farm lakes that serve as unhunted sanctuaries. The purpose is fun and convenience, not strap pics.
    Previously I used an agridrain board box. This time with no real trash coming through I just used a couple of 6 inch sewer pipes with a standpipe on the outside. If it gets cold, it will freeze up pretty quick, but if it's that cold, I'm happy to stay by the fire anyway.

8. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I get more satisfaction killed 2-4 ducks and watching my dog pick those up on the lease that we work year round than any other type of hunting. I've hunted from the corn clubs in Ballard to Arkansas fields and timber. It just feels different knowing you worked year round to harvest a few ducks. Any time afield is worth it. I even hunted alone a bunch last year and really enjoyed it. Just me and the dog.

9. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Word...
    Word!!! Latest pup is now 3 months old. Doubt we'll get much done this year, but the chance to spend that time hunting with him at home for what I hope is many years is huge.
    Next project is a blind. I'm halfway kicking around the idea of dropping in a couple culverts instead. I hunted a friends place in Alabama out of sunken culverts and it was a ball.

10. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    IMG_1286.JPG Since you can't hijack a thread you started, here's the pond draining yesterday. Got it down to a puddle and sowed jap millet. I'll be back to doves shortly. Lotta work coming in august

11. rcatron

rcatron 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2010
    winchester, ky
    All of these fields look awesome. Buford whats the size of the pond you drained?

12. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    This one is maybe 100x60. Took about 4 hours to drain with a 3" pump. No water control here due to amount of trash. It has a plain 36" culvert, 3-4 feet deep. Depending on rainfall I may pump out again until millet established.
    I have another sismilar size hole in woods from where we had to pull clay for a building pad. Gonna try the same thing there.

13. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Week 11 (planted 5.21)
    Interesting to note the difference in the blue seed vs the red seed (Both Mycogen Herbicide Tolerant Seed; Blue was 2016 Seed, Red was 2017 Seed). The red is drooped down more. Since we went back and forth during planting you can definitely see the pattern of 2 drooped rows and then 2 rows where the heads are still up a bit as you drive around the field. I would guess the blue seeds matured slower; maybe came out of the ground slower? But that would just be a guess…

IMG_5291 - Copy.JPG IMG_5293 - Copy.JPG

14. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Rob, wasn't there a difference in number of seed dropped? Just a guess, but I think the difference will be based on plant density. You still have the most uniform planting, plant height, and flower opening I've seen in KY. Great job!

15. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Looks like those power lines have a few birds in them already! Mine aren't drying down as fast as I would like. I typically lay down some 3 weeks before season, then a little more 2 weeks, then lay a majority down a week before season. I'll disc some too. I may not be able to lay any down this weekend. Most still have a greenish tint.